Hot Potato Salad Recipes
Hot, tangy potato salad, often known as German potato salad makes a great meal in itself. This page contains hot potato salad recipes.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is just delicious! I like to serve it with a good sausage like bratwurst or kielbasa.
- 8 potatoes, chopped in bite size pieces
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, and crumbled
- 6 Tbsp. bacon fat, reserved
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 - 4 tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper
Combine everything but the potatoes in a saucepan. Mix and heat it to boiling, and turn heat off. When the potatoes are done, drain, but don't rinse. Pour the hot dressing over immediately and mix gently but thoroughly. Serve hot.
Servings: 6 - 8
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH
January 20, 20171 found this helpful
Use your fireplace to keep warm and cook the ingredients for this yummy potato salad. This is a guide about fireplace potato salad.
I met my future mother-in-law in 1956. She made a hot potato salad that was delicious and kept really well. I have tweaked it to fit my taste.
Total Time: 1 hr
Yield: about 10
- 5 large potatoes, cooked, mashed while hot
- 2 boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery and/or seed, dried leaves
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar or Splenda
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Miracle Whip, light
Preparing this with the hot potatoes really brings the variety of taste to blend.
- Cook potatoes until soft. Drain potatoes. Boil eggs 1 minute, remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes and peel. Both of these should be ready about the same time.
- Chop celery and onions while potatoes and eggs are cooking. Measure the pickle relish and other ingredients and have ready to add to hot potatoes
- Mix all ingredients while potatoes are hot! If you like it a little sweeter or more mustard or whatever additions you like.
I have added green olives to this. Or you may add some other salad ingredient.
- 8 golden potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped
Boil the potatoes until they are just tender and drain. Cook the bacon and drain; reserve the drippings. Add the onions to the bacon drippings and cook until tender. Stir in the vinegar, water, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Place the potatoes in a large bowl and add the onion and vinegar mixture. Stir in the bacon and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. Serve warm.
By Robin from Washington, IA
June 2, 20160 found this helpful
This page contains German potato salad recipes. There are many variations for making this popular version of potato salad.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
My mother made a hot or cold potato salad and I've lost the recipe for the dressing. You diced your potatoes and cooked until tender, drained and while still hot poured a dressing of crushed red pepper, parsley, red wine, oil and (?) over your potatoes. You could eat it warm or refrigerate and have cold at a picnic.
By Martha-Jane from Northfield, VT
March 14, 20110 found this helpful
The missing ingredient might be dill. And possibly some dijon mustard.
March 14, 20110 found this helpful
My mother and grandmother made a German potato salad ( my step-grandfather was
German). It had oil, vinegar, and other things, but there was no recipe. Just handed down. You may look up German potato salad on the interent to see if you can find one like your.