House Trained Dog Peeing and Pooping in the House

I have a five year old Dachsie female (Abbie) who has regressed to puppy hood. She has had back trouble and has been sick. She pees on the carpet, so I have been keeping her in her crate. She does not drink much when she is in the crate and will not pee outside. After a few days, she will pee and poop on the floor because she cannot hold it.

I do not know the best way to train her again. I am used to her being with me all the time and feel mean to keep her in the crate. I don't know if this makes sense, but I need help. I guess my question is, how to you retrain a five year old? And how long do I let her out to spend time with her? And when I do, she may pee on the carpet. It is too hot to take her outside and spend time with her. How do I make it so that she does not feel abandoned and hate her crate?

By Elizabeth N.

Just train it!

Have you discussed this problem with your vet? He/she should be able to give you some info. For instance, there could be a medical problem causing this break in toilet training. Your vet should be able to advise you about behavioral issues, too. Another excellent source of info is the ASPCA - they have a "virtual pet behaviorist" on their website, ASPCA.org. Also, try calling your local ASPCA and Humane Society for pet behaviorist advice. You could also go to the library and read up on the subject. There are many good sources of info. I suppose you've already tried googling the topic?

Good luck to you and your dog. Please don't give up!

Me again. The url for behaviorist is http://www.aspcabehavior.org

The first thing I would do is take her to the Vet to see if there is an underlying cause for her not being able to hold her pee. In the meantime, I'd invest in a 'puppy pen' you can set it up inside your house with potty pads on the floor so that she isn't being left to "live" (& I use the term lightly) her life away in a small box. Living in a crate is not 'living'.

The potty pads are a good idea. As well as newspapers, just like when you're first training a puppy. Or you could try a container (something similar to the tray made to put under a washing machine to collect any leaks, or even a boot tray, depending on her size) with some dirt in it. You don't need a lot of dirt, just enough for her to smell and associate it with the outdoors. Keep an old rug around it so her paws will clean off a bit when she comes out. One of those artificial grass rugs works well. It ends up being almost like a litter box, but the extra work is well worth it to save your floors. Introduce her to the box once it's set up so she'll hopefully realize that's the place to "go". I'd check with the Vet, too, if this continues. Lots of luck to you!

You did not state what her back-problems were and why she had been sick. In her best interest please consult your Veterinarian she may have a urinary tract infection or a number of other problems. There is only one person who can professionally diagnose this. She is a lovely girl who can't help herself in these situations and depends on you to help her. Good luck.

She obviously knows to hold her pee as you said she holds it for days at a time. I would crate train her which will mean a lot of work on your part. Take her outside regularly (at least every couple of hours) and stay outside for a while to give her a chance to go. Talk to your Vet first and get to the root of the problem! Good luck.

Awww! Such a precious furbaby. She is so cute and what a pretty face. I also love Dashies. I used to have one also but she got too heavy and it broke her back down and her spine broke down into her spinal column and she passed away. I still miss her so much, her beautiful big brown eyes and her long flowing ears and short feet.

You mentioned that your dog has back problems and has been sick. Have you spoken to your vet about the potty problems Abby has been having? If the dog was sick and treated with meds, is it possible that she may have some kidney problems, or a reaction to the meds? Do you have a doggy door in your house so Abby can get in and out as she needs to? The doggy door has been a real life saver for my two dogs. and no more accidents! Also, maybe Abby's back hurts so she won't go outside to go potty? Just some thoughts about the situation, maybe I have mentioned something that might help. Good luck! Give her lots of hugs and kisses!

guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
Pets Dogs House TrainingJune 5, 2011
Previously house trained dog.
Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
dog laying on a white couch
Dog Peeing Inside When Lying Down
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
🎉
🎄