House Trained Dog Peeing and Pooping in the House

I got my very lovable and loving little Chihuahua from my niece 3 years ago. (she got him at 6 weeks) They left him in a bathroom all day alone for like 12 or 14 hrs everyday while they worked. I finely got him calmed down and he began going outside to do his business, but then I got a job and had to leave him with my daughter (24 years old) who more than likely didn't let him or my older dog (17 years old, died 1 week ago) out enough.

I have now (3 months ago) moved back to my mom's to help her and we have a doggie door for him to go out anytime and he still potties everywhere although he goes a day or two doing well then starts up again. We had him neutered 2 years ago hoping it would help. Nothing! I don't know what to do. The other dogs go outside, no problem. He knows it's wrong and I do understand he must have been traumatized at my niece's house, but when is enough enough? I love him and don't want to have to get rid of him. He is a good dog and is very smart. Help please.

By cactus from Kearns, UT

Answers:

He may just be confused by the new environment. Don't give up on him just yet. Just be patient and try letting him out as you used to do. With a little training and patience, I think you will have your lovely little one back again. Good Luck! (01/16/2011)

By ladymargaretrose

I agree with ladymargaretrose. Your dog has had change of environment and it is overwhelming him. With more time, he should come around, but what about putting a pee pad down and a large piece of plastic under it just in case he should decide to go indoors and he'll have a designated place and less peeing elsewhere and easy cleanup for you. When you are ready to move again, expect this change to make a difference from what he gets used to. The older a dog gets it is oftentimes difficult for a pet to make the transition. (01/16/2011)

By Lorelei

With patience and persistence I think your little one will come around. I wouldn't encourage pee pads as to me that only encourages the habit of going in the house. If possible take him out on the leash often and praise him each time he is successful and top it off with a favorite treat. Praise and special attention to a job well done goes a long way. (01/18/2011)

By jabsgram

I believe your little guy just needs reinforcing. Please don't expect him to use the doggie door on his own. I would suggest your taking him outside at least every 2-3 hrs. (it sounds excessive but you want to retrain him), use the same words each time, and give him lots of praise when he goes. Soon he will want to go outside to go and he'll use the door to get there. It takes time but he is worth it. Good luck! (01/18/2011)

By Coniatthebeach

guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
Previously house trained dog.
Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
dog laying on a white couch
Dog Peeing Inside When Lying Down
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
🎄