House Training a Dog

How long does it take to house train a Schnauzer/Poodle mix?

Ana from Providence RI

Answers:

House Training a Dog

If no medical problems, try crate training. Make sure the crate is not too big or he will just use a corner of it, but if the right size he will wait until you let him out of the crate to potty. When you are home just watch him like you would do a child and you will learn his signs for when he is about to potty (sniffing, circling, etc.) and then take him outside. (02/24/2009)

By cats4me

House Training a Dog

If you can't be home all day, I agree with the crate training. Take them outside as soon as you let them out of the crate. We just housetrained a 6 month old puppy. We used the crate for bedtime to avoid night time accidents.

I am able to be home during the day, so I took him out every 3 hours on the dot. He was going every time at first. After a few days he wouldn't go after 3 hours, so we'd try again in an hour. Eventually I was able to lengthen the time in between trips outside. There were still a couple of accidents. They need to build up their bladder control. I think it took us about 3-4 weeks. Now he alerts with whines when he needs to go out. (02/24/2009)

By TraceyI