House Training a Puppy

House Training a Puppy

How can I stop my English bull dog from chewing and going potty in the house? I am tired of cleaning my carpets, because of the accidents he is having.

By ffredley from Meadville, PA

Answers:

House Training a Puppy

It appears to me that the pup needs several chew toys and more of your attention, as it sounds like he might be bored. Take him for longer walks or get him to run after his toys more to wear him out. One of my Cockers chewed on cords and other things that had to be replaced and he was high strung indoors during the winter months. He needed more exercise and my attention.

Potty training isn't always an easy job, but does require a lot of patience and time. Try to notice the time after he drinks fluids when urinating happens and take the pup outdoors a few minutes before then. With summer months being hot, pets drink a lot of fluids just like people, so that means more potty time trips outdoors. (07/30/2009)

By Lorelei

House Training a Puppy

He looks pretty young. He should not have access to the house if he is not trained. Keep him in a crate and then pick him up to exit the house so he can't have an accident. Lots of praise for going outside. After he has done his business he can be in the house for a little while as long as you are sure he won't have an accident.

Be sure to clean the accidents with some kind of enzyme cleaner to get all the smell up. Dogs can smell things that we can't and the smell might be more than he can resist. Another reason not to let him have access to that area until you are sure he understands the rules. Good luck. (08/01/2009)

By merlene

House Training a Puppy

Soon as I brought my 6 week old Dachshund home from the breeder my vet told me to start out from the very beginning to "pick him up" and take him out to do his thing. The vet said don't use pad or newspaper. That's what I did saying "go potty" as I put him on the grass. He got the hang of it almost immediately. He's 2 now and when he needs to go he goes to the door and barks. He's hesitant when the grass is wet from rain, but I insist and stay out with him till he finishes. (08/01/2009)

By TXBetty

House Training a Puppy

Yes, definitely take your dog outdoors to go potty. Patience and persistence, in all weather, is key. As for the chewing, you're not going to stop a 3-month-old pup from chewing. I suggest you invest $1 or $2 in a braided rope toy at Save-a-Lot or any dollar store. We have two dogs 65 pounds plus, and an English mastiff. Even they couldn't destroy one of those little rope toys easily. (08/02/2009)

By JustPlainJo

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄