House Training a Puppy

I have a Pit Bull puppy. He is 12 weeks old. I need help with potty training. I have tried scolding him for messing in the house, which he does even after I take him out. I see by reading threads, that I shouldn't scold him. I will try that. I put him in his cage at night and he pees in there, but doesn't poop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By Caryn from Port Orange, FL

Answers:

House Training a Puppy

How often are you taking him out? I heard a rule to take them out as many months they are, so a 3 month old will need to be taken out at least every 3 hours. This rule worked well for me, of course it sucked when I was tired or it was cold. Your puppy will not always go in the cage, but it is still learning this. (12/25/2009)

By yessy1019

House Training a Puppy

Yeah, I agree if he is peeing in the crate at night he can't hold it. Dogs don't want to sleep in their own mess. How big is his crate? You only want enough room for him to turn around. If your crate is bigger, put some milk crates in the back so there is no room for him to pee other than where he sleeps.

Other than that use positive reinforcement. Every time he pees outside tell him how good he is and give him treats. (12/26/2009)

By veda815

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄