How Can I Tell If Something is Made of Silver

I cleaned what I thought was a sterling silver toe ring. It is still very dull. Does that means it's not really sterling silver?

Suzi from Central TX

Answers:

This may sound strange, but the next time your wearing foundation, rub the ring across your cheek. (gold works, too) If its real, it should leave a black mark. Only temporary, of course. I learned this when I played flute in school. (07/25/2006)

By halloweenfreak

What did you clean the toe ring with? Do you have a silver jewelry polishing cloth? You can get one at Wal-Mart. It has one side of the cloth you first clean with and then turn over and use the other side to polish.

Usually real silver has a "hallmark". Look on the inside, you may need to use a magnifying glass and see if it might have a marking. I think perhaps it will be marked 925. (07/25/2006)

By Debbie52

I was just told the other day, by an antique dealer, that like brass a magnet will not stick to silver. Haven't tried it yet. Let us know if you do.
(07/25/2006)

By Judy

I read somewhere that it's a law that all sterling silver has to be stamped .925 somewhere on it or else the item can't be sold as "sterling silver". (07/25/2006)

By tiffanyau

Silver is usually stamped as to what kind and quality and is very heavy for what the item is. If you still have a problem most pawn shoppes will be able to tell you if it is. (07/26/2006)

By tlcdsfit

I have found out that the shine you see in silver is actually plating. The silver itself is quite dull.
If one uses a potent product like TarnX, then the plating will be gradually worn off. Better to use a different polishing cream and a little elbow grease. Steam has been recommended.
Hope this helps. (07/26/2006)

By cookwie

There are different levels on silver content mixed with other metals that can and will be called silver. Sterling silver is .925 pure silver. It should be marked on jewelry. It can be hard to read without a magnifying glass. (08/27/2006)

By Carol

I tried the foundation and that trick really works. Thanks. (01/06/2007)

By Myriam

I tried the foundation trick and it worked, but I tried it with some fake silver earrings, too and this also left the mark. So I don't think it's a reliable method, sorry. (06/24/2007)

By Clara

" How Can I Tell If Something is Made of Silver?"

Post By karrie (Guest Post) (03/20/2008)

I have a silver tray and the only markings on it is DSL does that stand for something? Thanks(/quote)

Hi Karrie,
I am also searching for the meaning of DSL on the back of my silver tray.
I took the tray to an estate jeweler today and was told the tray is silverplate.

(04/16/2008)

By Sharon

If it's pure silver, when you drop it onto a solid surface, it should have a nice, clear ring to it, like a beautiful little bell. If it's sterling or other metals, it'll have kinda a "twank" kinda sound to it. So, if it's a clear bell sound, chances are it's real silver. (05/01/2008)

By red

You don't need to be wearing foundation to do that test folks. The mark you see on your skin occurs when certain metals, (i.e. gold, silver) come in contact with the copper that naturally is found in your body. The marks you see come from your skin reacting to the metal and the more copper you have in your body, the darker the marks will be.

Typically, cheaper metals don't react with the copper the same way that gold or silver does, however this is not a fool proof method because a few other metals with create the same results. This test is better used to rule something out since if its gold or silver it should always leave a mark.

How much of a mark something leaves doesn't determine the quality of the metal being tested, as much as it is an indication of how much copper you have in your body, which changes frequently due to nutrition, hormones, etc. (07/08/2008)

By ks727

Silver tea set on tray
How Can I Tell If Something is Made of Silver?
Cleaning Silver, Silver tea pot with an antique Chinese tea cup and saucer.
Cleaning Silver
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Woman Polishing Silver
Preventing Silver from Tarnishing
🎉
🎄