How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

I have a box of iodized table salt that has been left in our RV for some time and has drawn moisture to the point it is rock, solid hard. Is there any way to restore it to its original grains and make it usable again? I know this won't be a big loss if I have to toss it, but would like any ideas anyone may have. Thanks so much.

Karen from Gainesville, MO

Answers:

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

I would just pound it with something, like a rolling pin. Put the salt in a plastic bag. Even if it is chunky, you can still use it to cook. It will dissolve. I suppose you could try a crust of bread with the salt in a sealed container. It works for brown sugar. (08/22/2008)

By louel53

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

I have never had that problem, but if it were me, I would get the grater out and grate it.

slowbob (08/22/2008)

By slowbob

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

Grating it sounds like the way to go, but is it worth the effort? Do you maybe have lots of weeds you want to get rid of? Melt it down in boiling water and pour it over the unwanted weeds and grass. (08/22/2008)

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

You might try putting it in a container with a lid along with dry rice and shaking it briskly.
Or have you thought of putting it into a (dry) blender and blending it for just a quick pulse. Of course, you would want to thoroughly wash the blender after doing this, in order to keep the taste of your other foods from being affected.
When you put the salt in the shaker, put rice in it to keep the salt from clumping. (08/22/2008)

By Dibbs

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?

Put it into a blender or food processor for a second or 2. But they sell that stuff for 3 for a dollar at my local dollar store. So I'd buy a new box to cook with and use that nasty stuff to clean with or to make bath salts (write me for a directions) or to melt ice on the walkway in the winter. (08/22/2008)

By Cyinda

If the salt is hardened in it's container, how do you get it out to do all these things?

How Do I Soften Hard Table Salt?
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
lucite salt and pepper grinders
Finding Lucite Salt/Pepper Grinders
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
🎉
🎄