How Does Salt Effect Plants?

How does salt affect plants? And why? A long explanation would be very helpful. Do you know any websites concerning this problem? Thank you for your help!

Johanna from Sweden

Answers:

How Does Salt Effect Plants?

It kills the plant by sucking the water out of the cells as explained before, but a little salt is involved in nutrient uptake also. That is why fertilizer always contains some amount of sodium and you will see it accumulate on the soil surface of houseplants. So it is a matter of just a little is good, too much is bad. (05/08/2008)

By Ashley

How Does Salt Effect Plants?

My husband is convinced that salt is good for the soil in our garden he is constantly pouring salt by the bags on the garden.

Editor's Note: That's not a good idea. A little on slugs or something won't hurt but it can take years for salt to be washed out of your soil. If you can, take a shallow shovel and scoop it up and throw it in the garbage. (05/31/2008)

By dorothy

What effect does different salt concentrations have on a plant cell?

Howdy Ya'll

I'm a studying scientist at a local university. Salt concentrations have many effects on a plant cell. High levels of salt concentration can actually damage the inside of the cell membrane, resulting in the death of plant cells.

A low level of salt concentration, depending on the plant, may actually allow it to gain some growth, for example, the mangrove trees on local beaches. Some plants may just not accept salt because of the way they are 'built up'.

I'm glad I could be of some assistance-good luck on finding more research on this topic!

Old McDonald
H.S.A University. (09/14/2008)

By Old McDonald

How Does Salt Effect Plants?

Oddly enough, I'm doing a lab write now in my science class that involves finding how salt affects broccoli plant germination. I find that certain levels of salt cause death, but below these levels, it can be somewhat beneficial. You also have to remember that salt alters nutrient intake, and also affects ionic composition in plant cells. Good luck! (11/18/2008)

By Torrak

How Does Salt Affect Plants?
Garlic Salt
Homemade Garlic Salt Recipes
Vegetables growing in a raised bed.
Companion Planting Tips
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Rosemary is a salt tolerant plant.
Salt Tolerant Plants
🎄