How Much Garlic Should I Use To Prevent Fleas?

I read that putting garlic oil in dog food prevents fleas. My dog eats dry food, so I unpeeled a clove of garlic, cut a little piece off, and put it in the middle of her kibble. She ate it with no problem. What I'd like to know is how much garlic should she ingest a day?

Debby from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Garlic is NOT good for dogs, they can destroy the kidneys and no does onion. You may want to google the toxic to dogs food list. Grapes are bad too, as chocolate and caffeine. My vet mentioned this to someone while I was there too. (09/12/2008)

By meoowmom

I wouldn't try any natural flea remedy without vacuuming the house daily, washing her bedding daily, and vacuuming her even if she doesn't like it. (09/13/2008)

By kimhis

Before anyone even thinks of giving there dog garlic please go to this website and read the information
http://www.petsbynature.com/Garlic.htm .
After reading this I decided not even to attempt to give my dogs garlic. It is not worth the risk. (09/13/2008)

By JenSiv

Everything I have found on giving dogs garlic says moderation is the key. I would rather use a little garlic and brewers yeast than stuff like Frontline. Those are pure insecticides. So what would you rather do, put insecticides into your animals bloodstream monthly or give him a bit of garlic which has been used for decades? Dogs use to live for 15-20 years but since these chemical flea treatments have come along I know so many families losing their dogs at 10, 11, and 12 years old due to all kinds of ailments. Personally I believe it's the insecticides. (09/18/2008)

By Mary

Be careful giving dogs garlic. It can increase the white blood cells to dangerous levels, I have been told. My vet told me to use Advantage if my dog is in contact with others since she doesn't have fleas, at the moment. Also I have heard that rosemary works well, but must be boiled down. Just the leaves. Then maybe added to their food in moderation.

Personally, I would consult a homeopathic pet care professional if you are not interested in using commercial flea treatments for your pet(s). Always consult a professional when it comes to your pet's health. (09/19/2008)

By RoxysMom

RE: How Much Garlic Should I Use To Prevent Fleas?

Spoke to my vet and she says this whole garlic prevention is just a myth, and not to ever give this to any animal. (01/20/2009)

By Melody

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Garlic Bulbs
Preserving Garlic
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎉
🎄