How Much Garlic Should I Use to Prevent Fleas?

I have read in countless places, including here, that feeding my dogs garlic every day will help keep the fleas off of them. My question is, how much? I have 2 dachshunds. One is a mini and weighs approximately 20 lbs. The other is a standard and weighs approximately 35 lbs. I just started them on minced garlic (the bottled kind) and have been giving them 2 tsp. each every morning. I don't know if this is too much or not though.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Answers:

Please check with a vet because I've heard garlic, onions, etc. are harmful to dogs. (07/30/2009)

By merlene

None. Ask your vet for some Frontline or Advantage instead. When our cats got fleas, we tried every natural remedy, lemon baths, salt, etc. And only the medication worked. We wasted so much time on the organic stuff we ended up having to flea bomb the house with chemicals. It's definitely worth going with the proper medication from the start. (07/30/2009)

By NatashaLee

Please don't use at all. Despite companies claiming garlic is good for pets, in order to sell their product, garlic is toxic to pets as are all alliums.

aspca.org (07/30/2009)

By Deeli

I always laugh when I read remarks about garlic and dogs. Yes, big amounts of garlic are toxic to dogs but Brewers Yeast Tablets with Garlic, which are designed for dogs and cats, are not toxic. There is a small dose of garlic in each pill and you have to give it to your animals for about one month before enough builds up in their system to keep biting bugs away.

I have used these products for eight years, I breed Australian Shepherds and have 7 adult dogs now and they all get the tablets with no side effects. It decreases shedding and repels bugs. I am such a believer in this product, which I buy from UPCO, that I started my three horses on Bug Check this spring. It has the garlic to repel biting bugs and also has diatomaceous earth as an ingredient which is a natural wormer. These products are natural, not chemical and I endorse both products. They really work. (08/11/2009)

By bsmoreland

Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
Using Garlic to Prevent Fleas
dawn for fleas
Dawn Dishsoap For Fleas
Garlic Bulbs
Preserving Garlic
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎉
🎄