How Much Should I Charge for Deep Cleaning a Rental?

I just rented and moved into a house. The owner told me he would have a company deepclean the house before we moved it, however, he did not. The person that lived in the house before my family owned cats. There is cat hair everywhere! The owner told me to write him out a bill and he will pay me for cleaning the house. What is a fair amount I should charge him?

Davida from Newark, Ohio

Answers:

We just rented a house and since we live 1 hour away we asked the new renters if they were interested in doing it and they said yes.

It is a large house 4 bedrooms 2 baths with full half completed basement.

So we credited them $200 for the cleaning.
They are happy and we are happy. (05/03/2007)

By cindy from ala

Hi, I owned and operated a cleaning company for several years. My advice to the first request is call for local pricing in your area. it is different all over, the base price for a deep cleaning in Florida is 16 cents a square foot with carpet. This is for a professional to come in and do it. As for the women wanting to help her neighbor, I would consider 7 to 8 dollars an hour fair but by doing it by the hour, if you clean slow it may take a few weeks/cleanings to get the whole place in tip top shape. Explain that to your neighbor. Tell her you'll focus on one room per cleaning until you get it all under control. (05/08/2007)

By denise w

glad I ran across this. I live in Northern Michigan (economically people can seldom afford to have someone in to clean, however I have been maintaining a family lodge & cabin for 15 years or so and wasn't sure how to raise rates. This helped me some. I get around $12.50 an hour. But that includes stripping & making up to 16 beds sweeping, mopping :-( wrap around porches too. Cleaning fridge, oven, stove, bathrooms (like a hotel) take laundry home. (07/27/2007)

By

They do it by the square foot around here. Generally 8-10c a sqft. (07/27/2007)

By Corrie Rowe

There is a BIG difference between DEEP cleaning and MAINTENANCE cleaning. Deep cleaning is VERY involved. Once the house is clean... it doesn't take alot of effort to keep it clean (unless you are cleaning for people who do not pick up after themselves AT ALL! So it really all depends what kind of people you are cleaning for.
On average this is what I charge.

DEEP cleaning - $20/hour

MAINTENANCE cleaning - $12/hour (07/28/2007)

By Katie

Help! I recently started cleaning homes that are in the market for renting or owning. The drive is long and the cleaning for the most part is detailed. I don't want to charge too low because I'm sure ill get burned quick but I do not want to be unfair. I want to get what I'm worth. I was thinking of charging $40 an hour again keeping in mind these home are a one time deal before movers move in so the work is labor intense. Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable? I get different quotes some advise is too low others too high!

Editor's Note:

Because it is a one time cleaning, I think it is a reasonable price. The cost of your supplies, cleaning to order, etc. is all included. Also because some tell you you are charging too much and some too little means that it is probably just about right. You could also charge mileage (look at the IRS site for going rate) and charge by the mile for your travel. (07/31/2007)

By Liz

I recently started cleaning Rental homes . Besides the Heavy cleaning, I have to move some items . Therefore, my husband comes by to help me move the items to the road side ( some are very heavy). I do not know how much more I should Charge. I already charge 40.00 hr but some of the places are so bad, I just can not describe them.
HELP! (09/12/2007)

By judy

Riding Mower
Riding Mower Battery Won't Hold a Charge
Mold in a Rental House
Legal Responsibility for Mold in a Rental House
Condos
Converting a Rental into a Condo
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey
🎉
🎄