How Much Vinegar for Dogs?

Has anyone ever heard of adding vinegar to pet's water to ward off fleas? I heard this on a PBS show, but their site is down for construction.

Apparently the pets drink the vinegar water and by it coming through their pores, it keeps fleas away. There were different amounts of vinegar based on the pets' weight. Any input would be appreciated.

By mom of towers from St. Louis, MO

Best Answer

I have used this. I learned about it from a veterinarian. White vinegar is fine. I use an old water jug....1/4 cup per gallon and the fleas stay away! And the best and cheapest way I've used and learned to treat your yard is PineSol and water in a pump sprayer! You can Google the amounts for the size of your pump sprayer....I have a 3 gallon backpack pump strayer so it's either 4 cups or 1 small bottle and the rest water. Then pump up and spray the border of your yard and for extra protection I suggest spraying all of the inside of your yard for the first treatment every sping. Because PineSol is made from pure essential pine oil and water it isn't harmful for any of your grass....Google for plant bed safety. It is by far the best thing I have ever used. You only have to re apply your borders at the most once a month, depends if your neighbors have pets or if it's a bad insect year like here in Oklahoma....this summer has been horrible! All I can say is try either or both of my DIY flea treatments and see how you like it!

This is a question for a veterinarian.

Here is something to look at: http://www.curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=973742

I think if it's for fleas, it has to be used (diluted) topically, not internally.

I've never heard of using vinegar for this purpose. And I can't even imagine my dogs drinking vinegar water, no matter how much it was diluted!

But I have heard a lot about using garlic to ward off fleas and ticks. Even my vets have told me about this trick. Since my dogs eat strictly dry food, and there have been days when they have just not been hungry and haven't eaten it at all, I will mix it up in a teaspoon of peanut butter, or sometimes I'll soak a Milk Bone in it. Tricks like that to get them to eat it. It has worked on mine for years now, and we live in the Southeast where the fleas and ticks are miserable!

As for amounts, I have 2 dachsunds. I use the liquid garlic and I give them each 1/4 tsp daily, increasing it in summer to 1/2 tsp daily.

Garlic can kill dogs

DO NOT USE white distilled vinegar! White vinegar should only be used for cleaning not CONSUMED...consumed by human or animal! Only use organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar "with the Mother"! Bragg's is the best.

I give 1 tablespoon per day on my dog's food. She has been on it for 4 years now. No fleas! I also keep a spray bottle of it by the door when we go outside, I spray her lightly all over and the fleas don't even get near her. I won't use chemicals on her!

Check out this website: http://bragg.com/healthinfo/healthypets.html Bragg's is available at Whole Foods and most health food stores.

It is great for skin allergies, bladder infections, etc.

Also, garlic and onions are NO's No's for dogs and cats. And, I totally agree that Curezone.com is an excellent site to study this subject. Search for Apple Cider Vinegar.

I have used this for a while. I used white distilled vinegar (a capful) in his water bowl. It is good for digestion. I tried cider vinegar but my dog and cat con't like that so I've given them white vinegar. They don't even notice.

Who has determined that white vinegar is bad to consume? It is sold as a grocery and I've been eating it for years in salad dressings, as marinades, etc. Just curious to know the facts.

Dogs don't sweat the way we do - they pant. So I am not sure that the vinegar would ever reach their skin & bother the fleas. The only sweat glands dogs have are in the pads on their feet - not a flea area.

A better idea would be to wash them in a shampoo containing chrysanthemum flowers. You could add cedar chips to their bedding, spray them with a peppermint and/or rosemary solution (boil together, cool, put in a spray bottle - check an area to see if this bothers them). Many people use brewer's yeast for fleas, but many dog's are allergic to it., so be careful.

I would never ever use vinegar for dogs water. I would never do for my dog that I wouldn't do for myself doesn't sound quenching at all and could be harmful. I hope you checked with your vet. :)

It has been proven for Heartburn & gas that Tums, Rolaids, & other anti-acids only coat the problem., The reason people get it ,is because there isn't enough acid in the stomach. Drinking a table spoon of Vinegar, immediately, relieves gas , heartburn, and also will stop charlie horses, or muscle cramps. It works on animals too, especially Dogs. I know this because vinegar saved my dogs life.. Dogs can get gastric problems from just drinking to much water after a big meal of dry dog food or playing to hard right after a big meal. which can flip their stomach, resulting in death within hours. The Vets say caught early give a dose of Malanta, which I had NONE. I drink Pickle juice for my Indigestion & leg cramps. So Dozzer got a dose of diluted vinegar., 5 minutes later he belched a big bunch of air from his stomach. & was pretty much back to normal.

So, Vinegar is good for us all. Now I learn it repels fleas, another great bonus.

Giving Pets Vinegar for Fleas
Giving Pets Vinegar for Fleas
Pets AdviceMay 6, 2009
vinegar and baking soda
Uses for Vinegar
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Inflating Balloon During Balloon Experiment
Blowing up a Balloon with Baking Soda and Vinegar
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
🎄