How To Determine Spacing Of Grommets On Curtains

Does anyone know how to determine the placement of grommets on curtains. There needs to be an even number and I just can't figure it out!

Mary from Aurora, CO

Several years ago I made a set of curtains and a matching shower curtain for my bathroom out of two flat bed sheets. I used my sewing machine and sewed 12 small grommet button holes across the top for my shower rings. I recall that my husband helped me to measure the spacing along the top hem where I was to make the button holes.

Why don't you fold the fabric in half so you can find the center for the first grommet and work from there.

I measured the width of the grommets on my own fabric shower curtain and they are 5 1/2" apart, but it may vary depending on the width of your fabric.

I hope that I was able to answer your question.

Marge from NY (09/15/2007)

Figure out how far from the edges you want the grommets to be. This will depend on how wide your curtain is and how big your grommets are. (not too close but you don't want flaps at the sides)

Then measure between the edge grommets and divide by 1 LESS than the number of TOTAL grommets. If you have 6 grommets, you would divide the inner space by 5, divide by 7 for 8 grommets, 11 for 12 grommets, etc. Pin or mark at these divisions. This will determine the space between grommets and you should center the hole of the grommets on the pins or marks.

You DO NOT want to center the first grommet or they will all be off. This would only work with an odd number. Draw it out on paper to see what I mean, it is hard to "show" you with words :) (09/18/2007)

By Lisa from Lena, WI

I think it also depends on the weight of the fabric you are hanging; lightweight, limper fabrics need them closer together. I think I would do a trial run with bent paper clips that you could move and re-space until you liked the way they draped. Then just put the grommets where the paper clips were. (09/19/2007)

By claudia-md

Make Curtains With Grommet
Making Curtains With Grommets
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
A sewing machine making repairs.
Repairing Thermal Backing on Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains