How To Keep Deer and Rabbits From Eating Your Plants

I like to use this recipe to help deter deer from eating my plants.

This makes 1 gallon of spray.

Beat 1 egg in 1 cup of water and sieve to get out white strings or clumps. Add to a gallon jug, add

• 1 Tablespoon of regular dish soap,
  • 1 Tablespoon of cooking oil,
  • 1/2 C milk

Fill jug partially with water, shake to mix, finish filling gallon jug with water.

I keep this in an extra refrigerator, it can get smelly, but that helps deter the deer and rabbits. Mark your bottle - deer repellent, so no one drinks it. Fill your spray bottle and spray your trees, lilacs, and plants. Don't spray on anything you want to eat, but I do spray my peas and beans before they start to blossom. Spray after every heavy rainfall.

I find after doing it 3-4 times the deer get the hint and quit coming. If you have a problem with deer eating young plants and trees, begin spraying early in the spring, before damage begins. But spray it during the day, so it has a chance to dry on the plant before it would freeze.

By Marcia from New Auburn, WI

Answers:

Another trick is to put fishing line around the garden/flower beds. It works for deer. But I don't know about rabbits as they don't come near my dogs. (07/31/2007)

By Jenns4x4pu

An easier thing to do is just hang bars of Ivory soap around garden, I don't know why it works but does. (07/31/2007)

By Dawn

Keeping Deer Out of Your Garden, Doe in Suburban Garden
Keeping Deer Out of Your Garden
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent Review
Black and white rabbit eating grass.
Keeping Rabbits Out of Your Garden
Fawn (Baby Deer) standing in the grass.
Fawn (Baby Deer) Information and Photos
Deer in Garden
Deer Resistant Plants
🎄