How To Make Fitted Crib Sheets

Suggestions and advice on how to make your own fitted crib or playpen sheets from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own experiences here.

Use Mattress As A Guide

I made sheets for my playpen for my first grandbaby this year. It isn't hard to do. I know it would be the same for a crib sheet. I bought bargain fabric about a dollar a yard, one pattern was Winnie the Pooh. You can use cotton or jersey knit. I laid my mattress on top of the fabric and then cut it about 8-9 inches longer than that to allow for the depth of the mattress. Then I cut a 4 inch square from each corner using a template I made of cardboard.

Next, I sewed up each of the corners making them pocket corners. The next step is to make a 1/4 inch hem all the way around the sheet and when that is done take 4 pieces of narrow elastic, approximately 16 inches long, and zig zag one on each of the corner pockets. My suggestion would be to "experiment" with an old sheet when making the first one. Then you will have it made when doing the rest of them. Yeah, I know you can buy them cheaper probably but there is nothing more loving than making them yourself.

By Shelle

How To Make Fitted Crib Sheets

I used the instructions from this website:

I bought a set of double sheets, and made 4 crib sheets, 2 from the top sheet, 2 from the fitted sheet, and then had pillowcases that matched when my son became a toddler.

I was able to get soft flannel crib sheets this way. It is hard to find them otherwise, and in a color that matched my nursery scheme.

How To Make Fitted Crib Sheets

The standard crib is 30 inches x 54 inches. The standard crib mattress is 27 1/4 inches x 52 inches.
The standard fitted crib sheet is 28 inches x 52 inches. The depth of the sheet will vary depending on your mattress, most are 4 inches to 8 inches deep. (01/04/2008)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Wooden crib with fitted sheet on a white background
Making Fitted Crib Sheets
Fitted Sheet
Making Fitted Sheets
A stack of folded sheets.
Folding Fitted Sheets
One side removed making the crib into a day bed for a toddler.
Alternative Uses for a Crib
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets