How long should I wait to re-dye my hair?

Recently I got an olive oil perm and color the same day but the color did not take. In fact around my temples, where I am gray, my hair turned almost gold. How long do I have to wait to color my hair?

Barbara from Pembroke Pines, Florida

Answers:

You should always wait one week between coloring and perming at least! I would recommend 10 days to 2 weeks if you are really grey. Try washing your hair with bar soap to tone down the color of the dye for a week or so (bar soap on wet hair really scrub it in then regular shampoo and conditioner). It sounds crazy but it takes the brassiness out. (02/16/2009)

By CJ

What is an olive oil perm? I've never heard of it. What color did you dye your hair? It is OK everywhere else, but the temples where you are gray? I wouldn't color all over. You can get a touch-up kit. I like Revlon Colorsilk Root Perfect and Clairol makes a touch up, too. Just look around a drugstore carefully, they are in the same section as hair dye. (02/16/2009)

By OliveOyl

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and who ever gave you the perm should not have colored your hair the same day as the perm. The rule of thumb is to wait one week before receiving a second chemical treatment such as a hair color. (02/16/2009)

By MCW

Two hours is enough. (02/17/2009)

I've been a licensed Cosmetologist since 1972 and I agree with MCW. You might want to re-think using this hairstylist again because having done two chemical processes in one day is unprofessional and/or greedy.

If it's been a week or two since these processes it should be okay to repair the color now. Just be sure someone who is a color specialist does it and that they are aware of what has already been done. (02/17/2009)

By Deeli

How Long Should I Wait to Re-dye My Hair?
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 20, 2016 at 1:34:04 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 997 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.