How to Detect a Two Way Mirror

Category Personal
Man looking intently at reflective wall
A little test can help you see what kind of mirror you are looking into. This is a guide about how to detect a two way mirror.

When we visit toilets, bathrooms, hotel rooms, changing rooms etc, how many of you know for sure that the seemingly ordinary mirror hanging on the wall is a real mirror, or actually a two-way mirror?

Just conduct this simple test: Place the tip of your fingernail against the reflective surface and if there is a GAP between your fingernail and the image of the nail, then it is a GENUINE mirror. However, if your fingernail directly touches the image of your nail, then BEWARE, for it is a two-way mirror!

By Marti M.

Editor's Note: Another way to detect whether a mirror is a two way mirror is to turn off the lights and put a flashlight up against the mirror. If there is a room behind the mirror, you will see it.

Top Comment

The actual test is accurate. Snopes and about both confirm that. The reality is that a two-way mirror is going to be installed in some sort of window frame and with all the small camera techology, it's much cheaper to spy on people with a camera than an expensive two way mirror. So look for small cameras if you are worried about peeping.

Anonymous

after watching documentaries on tv about people who spy on other people even in public restrooms, I'm always cautious about it. Then again, I can't spend my life worrying about someone filming me. Zip up while in the stall and when you check your hair and make up in the mirror, give 'em a wink and a smile! I think where you would probably find the most peeping is in hotel/motel rooms. I've heard that many hotel/motels have been found to have mirrors and even peep holes where the guests were watched in thier most intimate moments. In today's techie world I don't think we can be sure who is watching us and when. Cameras are so tiny these days that you probably would never find it anyway.