How to Make Glass Bottle Wind Chimes

Vary up the finished wind chime by using different shaped and colored glass bottles to make several of these lovely chimes. This is a guide about how to make glass bottle wind chimes.

June 6, 2009 Flag

Materials

• 1 bottle, bottom removed using glass cutter
  • 3 different lanes of chain
  • two pieces of clothes hanger (used to connect lines of chain indeed up in an S shape)
  • wooden bead
  • key ring

Instructions

I make the wind chimes out of liquor bottles, wine bottles, and this one happens to be a wine cooler bottle. I use a glass cutter and cut off the bottom. I use a ceramic knife sharpener to smooth the sharp edges. If it has a screw on top, that's a plus.

Starting on the bottom, you need something to catch the wind this happens to be a small piece of wood, I have used old CDs, cut up place mats and Plexiglas shapes, connected to a length of chain (it varies with each bottle). Use a piece of clothes hanger and make a loop connected to the first piece of chain. Add a large wooden bead (clapper). Make another loop on the opposite end of the piece of clothes hanger. Add another piece of chain and feed this piece of chain through the cut bottle from the bottom to the top determine the right length of chain and then cut. After poking a hole in the middle of the cap, use another piece of clothes hanger connected to the chain and feed it through the cap. Make another loop with another piece of chain on the opposite end of the cap. Determine the length of chain from the top of the cap to the hanging ring.

If your bottle does not have a screw on top, I use a bead just big enough that it won't slide through the opening or you can use another key ring. Just remember to feed it through the bottom of the bottle out the neck before you attach your hanging ring. I have never had one break from the weight.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I bought the glass cutter at Michael's. I can't remember how much it cost and I used a 40% off coupon.

It's a little L shaped table and you set the cutter all the way to the bottom, you turn the bottle to cut the glass.

You need to have lots of bottles because you have to tap from the inside and that's where you mess up. If you hit a little high or a little low the break will be off, so you get out another bottle and try again. Once you figure it out you make very few mistakes.

March 22, 2012 Flag

Small glass bottles can be used to make a wind chime. Just wrap with wire, add beads or shells to wired necks of bottles.

By Karen from Pawtucket, RI

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
In These Guides
Crafts Using Old Glass Bottles, Old Medicine bottles
Crafts Using Old Glass Bottles
Upclose photo of a wind chime hanging outside.
Making Wind Chimes
Crafts Garden & Yard WindchimesJanuary 20, 2017
glass jar with rolled balls of fabric
Making a Vintage Rag Jar
Wind chimes that are made from a clay pot.
Clay Pot Wind Chimes
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
Painting Glass Bottles
Painting Glass Bottles
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 26, 2017 at 7:46:38 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.