How to Make a Bobby Pin Thumb Piano
Making one of these hand held musical instruments is a great project to work on with your children. This is a guide about how to make a bobby pin thumb piano.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
My daughter needed to make a musical instrument for her 7th grade science class that had at least 4 notes. I remembered that she had made a neat little thumb piano years ago at a craft fair. She made a new one and it is perfect!
- scrap wood (approx. 3.5 x 5 in)
- 5 bobby pins
- staple gun
- sand paper
- Cut a piece of wood to the correct size. Then sand it to smooth out the surface and edges.
- Straighten out the bobby pins, as shown below.
- Staple each of the bobby pins to the wood, near the edge of the wood.
- Use a hammer to tap the staples tightly over the bobby pins.
- Then staple each bobby pin down a second time, with the first one being pretty close to the other end and the last one being farthest from the end, as shown below. Again, hammer the staples down.
- Then bend up the ends of each bobby pin at the staple.
- Now test out each note. She found the shortest one to be too twangy, so we added a few staples in the middle to hold the bobby pin down better.
- Use markers to decorate and enjoy your new instrument. Note: Here is a photo of the one she made when she was 5 and the one she made today. :)
June 21, 20172 found this helpful
A piece of wood, a handful of bobby pins and a stapler is all you need to create a DIY thumb piano. Learn how to make it in this short video.