How to Rid the Yard of Parvo, Can You Get It More Than Once?

We had 3 puppies get parvo about 4 months ago. They all died; what do I need to do to my yard to make it safe for a new puppy?

By Angeia from Gridley, CA

Answers:

If you are on a budget, you can give parvo shots yourself to new puppies. Go to feed store and buy shot and ask for a syringe. Comes with instructions. Never wait on the shot. I had a pup die of parvo once and I never want to experience that again. If you are even thinking of a pup make arrangements for the shot before you bring them home, whether by yourself or through a vet.

However, I'd talk to the vet and ask for advice. It's a terrible virus, and I'm not sure what to do. But the shot preparations must be done before any dog is brought home. (11/11/2009)

By PIKKA

Read the archived link below because there are lots of answers. I've also heard that another puppy/dog should not be brought in the home or yard for at least six months after a parvo outbreak even after thorough cleanup. Be sure to sanitize inside your home, too! I am sorry you lost your puppies. (11/16/2009)

By Deeli

I've had my bouts with Parvo as well. Terrible disease that kills in 24 hrs. My vet advised me that no new dog should be brought into a yard where an infected dog has been for at least two years. And all indoor housing (your house and dog houses) should be treated with bleach, the only thing that kills the virus. This also brings to mind another reason I am against invisible fencing. Animals with a variety of contagious diseases could more easily enter your yard. I hope this helps.

Susan (11/18/2009)

By SWG

Several people have said that bleaching your yard should get rid of the virus however, there is no sure fire way to be sure the virus is gone. The best thing to do is follow your vet's advice. The vet I worked for advised waiting one to two years before getting a new puppy. Also, the vaccinations are only completely effective after the whole series has been given. One shot doesn't do the trick. Good luck. (11/18/2009)

By renee5774

dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 17, 2016 at 9:01:21 PM on 10.0.0.36 in 935 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.