How to the Remove Calcium Deposits Around Toilet

We a have major calcium deposit rings around our toilets from our hard water. They were there when we moved in the house. I don't know how long it's been there. Any suggestions on removing them?

TexasTeacher

Answers:

How to the Calcium Deposits Around Toilet

Turn off the water to the toilet and flush it, letting as much water as possible drain out without refilling. Wear gloves and chip off as much calcium deposit as possible with a small screwdriver or chisel. Be careful not to scratch the porcelain. Scrub what is left with a lime remover such as CLR, Lime Away, The Works, or one of those, using a plastic scrubber. Vinegar will also dissolve calcium, but takes several hours or longer to do so. Once clean, you can keep the calcium from re-forming by swishing a toilet brush every day around the water line and using a toilet bowl cleaner frequently. (06/22/2005)

By Seagrape

There are many options, but the very best I've seen to get the stains that liquids (calcium disolvers) wouldn't remove is a pumice stone. It's work, but it's not too laborious and it will make the porcelain clean. (06/22/2005)

By Gary

I had a similar problem after a tenant moved out. I shut off intake of water then flushed so no water would enter the bowl. Then I filled the bowl with white vinegar and let stand for as long as it takes to soften the deposits. A plastic scrubber works well to hasten the removal. The length of time is contingent on how thick the deposits are. There is no need to flush until the deposits are gone. (06/22/2005)

By kelleno

Try adding a little Calgon Bouquet to the water and let is sit awhile, then brush. This method also works on calcium deposits on your sliding shower doors. And it's pretty cheap. (06/23/2005)

By Claudia

Oven cleaner works really great if you can stand the smell. (06/23/2005)

By suzi homemaker

Use "wet and dry" sandpaper, the fine black one from DIY/builders stores. Start with 600 grit, if that is too slow move to 400 grit, and so on. It doesn't harm the porcelain and removes even dirty rust type stains. I used it in a toilet in a new house I bought and it restored it to new. It takes a bit of elbow grease, but is cheap and you don't have to inhale chemicals and flush them into your sewage/septic system. The sandpaper can be kept in the bathroom and used over and over again if you get any more build up. It is not necessary to empty out the water if you don't want to, just use a rubber glove kept specifically for the purpose.

Regards.

(06/23/2005)

By Jo B.

Try Shaw's Toilet Ring Remover Pads (you can get at most hardware stores), works like magic! (05/06/2007)

By Sandi

I have cleaned my toilet bowl several times the hard way, with Ajax and a lot of elbow grease. This last time I decided to try chipping the large scale deposits with a small putty knife and a screwdriver. Much to my surprise the scale chipped off fairly easy. But I couldn't help leave marks on the porcelain. So after this I used wet sandpaper and again Ajax to remove the marks left by the putty knife and screwdriver. The heavy work was done by the scrapping first. (02/21/2008)

By Marvin

I found Shaw's pads at the local hardware store, used them and couldn't believe the results. (02/29/2008)

By Jackie

I found "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner does a great job of removing calcium and lime rings from my toilet. The first time I used it, I let it sit overnight and scrubbed most of it away in the morning. Reapplied the next night and it was gone (mine was there forever as nothing worked previously).

Now I use it to clean my toilet on a regular basis without sitting overnight and it is great. I find it in my "Dollar Tree" store or Walmart. I see the posts for vinegar, very interesting. So many uses for it. Amazing. (01/20/2009)

By DVG

Scrubbing toilet with a sponge
Cleaning Calcium Deposits in a Toilet
Toilet
Preventing Mineral Deposits in a Toilet
Shiney faucets and clean tub.
Cleaning Lime Stains from a Bathtub
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Water Heater
Removing Calcium Deposits in a Water Heater
🎉
🎄