Crafts For KidsCrafts

Huichol Style Yarn or Thread Paintings

I came across this idea while trying to find art projects to teach at my daughter's school. This looked amazing. I don't think I could do this with 100 kids at once, but my kids loved it! It took us about half an hour and it was fun to see what they came up with. I had lots of fun, too! This is a very inexpensive project. I found the vinyl tile for 38 cents and we only used half of it. Embroidery floss is usually cheap, too. I found this huge box full of floss for $1 at a garage sale. This was definitely a hit!

Total Time: half an hour or so

Yield: quite a few "paintings"

Source: There's a Dragon in my Art Room post, "Yarn Painting, Huichol style for kids"

1. Cut your vinyl tile to your desired size. We cut our's pretty small (3x5 inches) because it takes quite a bit of string to cover the tile. If you are framing this, use the backing of the frame to cut to the right size.
  2. Take your vinyl tile and peel the waxy paper off. It's very sticky. Try to not let things fall on it.
  3. Create a design using the embroidery floss or yarn. You can create a scene or an abstract piece. Just lay the floss on the tile and press down. Making turns is a little tricky. I used the end of a pencil to get it to turn the other way.
  4. Ad

5. Try to fill in all the empty spaces.
  6. You can frame this when you are done. My 5 year old wanted these all on the wall, unframed. She likes feeling the "painting".
  7. Ad

8. Have fun!