Huskee Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
Photo of a riding mower.
Trying to find the cause for your mower not starting can be a process. This is a guide about Huskee riding mower won't start.

I have a Huskee 16.5 hp. mower. I put in a new plug, air filter, and fuel filter, the battery tested good. When trying to start it turns over a couple of times and stops. I also cleaned all of the connections that run to the battery.

By Dave B.

Best Answer

Well, I will tell you my story. I have a John Deere LA120. It is 4 years old and has 40 hours of use. When first year it started up ok. The second year was more difficult so I hooked it up to a battery booster I bought for $50. The third year was more difficult and this year impossible. I bought a new battery and the battery guy tested the old one and said it was fine. The battery guy thought I had an open ground. But I bought a new battery anyway. Still would not start. I asked the folks at the John Deere dealer. They said my valves needed adjustment. I thought that was BS so I visited another JD dealer and he said the same thing. He said he could adjust the valves but they would go out of adjustment very quickly. He said my machine had a Briggs and Stratton engine which was crap. The more expensive JD mowers with a much, much better engine start at $3,000. I asked about a trade in toward a newer JD. Nope. He said he would not take it because the Briggs and Stratton engines were too much of a problem. He suggested I dump my mower on the side of the road or try to sell it to a private party for $500.

He did give me one bit of advise which was very helpful. On the top of the engine is a clean air intake. This spins clockwise when the engine is running to cool the engine. He said to turn it with my hand in reverse and then try to start the mower. This would change the position of the valves. I tried it several times before the mower started. So both dealer must have been correct. It is something to do with the valves. You may have the same problem. the first dealer said the battery was not powerful enough to over come the resistance of the out of position valves. Maybe if I had a very powerful battery booster I could get it to turn over. Good Luck.

Best Answer

My husband had similar problems with his riding mower, and it turned out to be the "kill" switch.

My Huskee riding mower will turn over and it sounds like it's spinning really fast. I was mowing the lawn and it made a big pop and died. Now all it will do is spin really fast, but not fire up. Can you help me?

By PD

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Probably sheared the key between crankshaft and flywheel.

I was starting to mow and it started sputtering and died. I put a new battery in, but it is still dead. It won't turn over or anything, it's dead.

Best Answer

It was a fuse located under the battery.

I have a Husky riding lawn mower. I have put a new solenoid, a key switch, and a new battery in it and it still won't start. Is there anything else I could check? I am thinking of replacing the clutch safety switch with a new one, will this make a difference?

From gardenweb.com:

we need to know.. did you do the basic checks? enough fuel, controls all set correctly before attempting to start, choke full on before start, sitting firmly in seat so seat safety sw engaged, clutch/brake pedal fully depressed, PTO off, etc., etc. ..?

If all that OK, next step is with help of assistant remove engine air cleaner and spray several shots of rattlecan carb cleaner (available at auto parts store) directly into carb throat while assistant is cranking engine.

If engine tries to start or "pops", problem is lack of fuel delivery. if not, prob is ignition or mechanical internal to the engine.

Whens the last time it ran? Has it been sitting a while?

I have a Huskee garden tractor 18 horse 46 cut. It will start and run fine, but once I shut it off it will not start. It turns over fine. I have to let it set a very long time to get it started again.

By Cecil J.