Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start

I have a Husqvarna YTH1842, it has been starting fine. But today when I turned it off to check the grass catcher and tried to start it again, it wouldn't start. I stopped several times and started it each time just fine. Now it turns over good but back fires and will not start.

I checked the plug and fuel filter, took the fuel filter off and blew through it and the gas line. I got bubbles in the tank, so that was good. I checked the air filter, have fresh gas in the tank, the plug was dry and looked good, but the gas filter was not full of fuel, should it be? I hope someone can help me with this.

By Edie

Here are some common reasons why mowers wont start: I did some research on the web for you. One reason is that you do not have all the components to make it start. It takes only 3 things to make a gasoline engine operate properly:

Water in the gas tank! Look in the tank and see if you can see a bubble of water underneath the gas (gas floats on water).

Another thing to check is the shape of the spark plug.Is it corroded? Does it have too much of a gap between the electrodes?

Have you checked the oil? Make sure it's filled properly with the right weight oil.(usually 10w30 works,but look in the user manual,it will tell you what type your lawn mower uses.

Drain the old gas from last season and add fresh gas.The old gas can be added to your vehicles tank. If you have it over two thirds full the miniscule amount from the lawn mower will disperse and be burned off fine in your car. And after this season, buy and add a fuel stabilizer for the lawnmower so the problems don't repeat year after year.

As long as you are doing all this maintenance,check the blades for wear. If you know how to sharpen them,now's a good time,or buy a new blade and replace the old one.To sharpen an old lawnmower blade: Put it in a vise and use a large flat file and run it at the angle that's there already.File one side,then flip the blade in the vise and do the opposite side. To check for balance? Pound a nail into the side of your work bench and place the blade on it.If it hangs parallel to work bench you are done.If one side hangs lower than the other, you need to file the heavier side another time or two and recheck the blade's balance til it comes out even.

Another thing to try is spraying engine starter fluid into the spark plug hole,reinserting the plug and trying to crank the engine. Does it try to start and then die? Now you know the spark plug needs replaced or cleaned up and gapped correctly.

Also,clean the air filter if it's sponge or if it's paper replace it.Next,check the cable that operates the choke to make sure it's working correctly. Too loose and you won't get enough fuel in the carburetor, and the engine will run rough or not at all.If there's a primer button, make sure when its pressed that fuel enters the bowl of the carburetor, if it's a weak stream,then you may have a kink in the line or a blockage, or a hole. Remove the line and blow air through it to make sure it's clear and try it again.

Read more: ... _mowers_will_not_start#ixzz1P9ibJTvM

Husqvarna Riding Mower Won't Start
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 23, 2011
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start