Hydrangea Bush's Leaves Turning Brown

Q: My husband brought me a hydrangea bush, I am not sure what type, and it is curling and turning brown on the ends. We have gotten a few days of rain and I am not sure if that could effect this type of plant.

shopping_addiction_woman from Nashville, IN

A: Dear shopping_addiction_woman,

It sounds as though your hydrangea may be suffering from a bit of transplant shock. I would just leave it alone for a bit and it should recover just fine. This isn't all that uncommon, especially with potted plants that are transplanted in the garden and suddenly receive large doses of water. Your plant probably didn't received enough moisture at some point while in the pot at the nursery. Once planted and exposed to a couple days of rain, the leaf cells probably become overwhelmed from the sudden change in moisture levels, which caused them to swell up and burst. The brown tips indicate the cells that were destroyed. In a short time the leaves should toughen up and form a sort of "seal" that will prevent this from happening in the future. You can help by keeping your hydrangea watered on a consistant basis.

More Answers:
Hydrangea Bush's Leaves Turning Brown 04/19/2006

I don't know the answer to your problem, but I'd guess it's lacking water & also in too much sun, however .... there's a great website that has all your gardening information & it's our very own Australian TV Broadcasting site.

This will give you all the information you could ever want. Hope it helps you.

Wendy M. from Australia

By Wendy M.

Hydrangeas Leaves Turning Brown
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Transplanting a Butterfly Bush
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush
Winterizing a Butterfly Bush