Icing Won't Stay on Cupcake

Category Baking
Icing Cupcake
If your cupcake icing is running off your cupcakes, you may not have cooled the cupcake down enough. This is a guide about icing too runny.

Every time I try to make my own icing it seems fine in the bowl and fine as soon as I frost the cupcakes, but then I will look back and then frosting will be running down the sides of my cupcakes! What do I do to keep my frosting from doing this?

By Becca b

Answers

Best Answer

Are you absolutely sure the cupcakes are completely cool before you ice them? If they are warm at all, it will cause the icing to melt.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Try not to fill up your piping bag with icing,just put enough,your hands could be the cause of the melting.Icing should be cool at all times

I found a homemade buttercream that is to die for. It is easy as heck to make and it is fabulous for piping, plus completely delicious. It's made with confectioners sugar, real butter, vanilla, and a little heavy whipping cream. I made cupcakes yesterday and piped a beautiful swirl on top (cupcakes were completely cool), then put them in an airtight container (in my van where it was cool, like 45 degrees) so they wouldn't dry out and I wouldn't forget them. It pipes out beautifully, but today when I took it to work, a coworker grabbed one and tipped it a little when eating it and the whole wad of frosting just popped right off the top in one magnificent swirl. Not sure why this would happen. Any ideas?

Spraying the cupcakes with a sugar water or honey water solution before icing should help it stick.

Maybe you could add a little cream of tarar to the frosting?