Clutter ControlOrganizing

Ideas for Reducing Clutter

I am trying to get rid of clutter, but am not quite sure as how to get started. Any ideas?

By D

Best Answer

Start one thing at a time. I would suggest getting boxes ready to put things in and making arrangements to have those items removed before you do anything else. Than decide on one item that you are going to go through and get rid of the extra.

Get every book that is in your house and find a home for it, get rid of the ones you decide to not keep. Than go through your kitchen drawers, get rid of duplicate items. Go through your kitchen cupboards one at a time and only keep what you have used in the last year.

Go through dresser drawers and closets. Get rid of those items that you can not wear any more. Keep only the current size that you wear plus one size up and one size down from your current size. Fix any buttons or holes and put those things away or get rid of them.

Call your friends and ask if they need the extra or post to craigslist or have Goodwill come and take it all.

That is a start. Now I guess I have to go do my kitchen drawers and cupboards since you made me think about it.

Have 3 boxes handy. Love it, trash, donate. Start at the door, facing it when inside the room and go thro the first things you come to. Keep working to your right. Do not leave the room until you have decluttered for 15 min. no less. Do not try to do in one day or it will overwhelm you. The trash box goes out to the trash and the donate to the car. Start again the next day. As you progress you will begin to get a feeling of freedom. Stick to the 15 min. Everyone can do 15 min. No harm is speeding up to get more done within that time.

Get rid of one thing every day and the momentum will build!