Identifying Tiny Biting Insect

Something keeps biting me when I sit on my couch. They are minute, whitish-to-clear little "balls". Since I can't figure out what they are, I can't figure out what to do about them. I just happened to catch one on my neck this a.m. and squished it. It popped when I compressed it like it was full of liquid. Could they be "no-seeum" bites?

By Martha

They could be cat fleas. They will only bite once as you do not taste right, but they will try another place. Fleas hop--really hop. Most of the noseeums I have had experienced with are black. To get rid of them, vaccum like crazy everyday. Also in a flat, white container mix a little soap and water, and set on the floor with a light. The light and the heat of the bulb will attract them, they will jump, land in the water, and the soap keeps them from breaking free from the water. At least that is what I have used in the past. Good luck.

Cat and dog fleas are black. Not white.

Could they possibly be bedbugs? Here's a picture of the nymphs:

http://www.bedbugs-pictures.org/

I certainly hope not but they are everywhere anymore. They are easy to carry in on luggage and on purses too. Our local college has had a horrible time with them.

No see-ums are little black flies that come in a cluster. You see them outside. They are smaller than black flies (not to be confused with house flies, which don't bite).

I would get an attractive cover or a sheet to cover the couch after you get a can of salt from the store and sprinkle it heavily all over the couch, in the corners, under the cushions, everywhere. The reason for the sheet or cover is to not sit on the salt for the two or so days you leave it on the couch. Vacuum the top of the cushions and leave the salt under the cushions. I get the salt out each time I see a flea on a piece of furniture.

August 1, 2011 Flag

I recently moved into these apartments, after a week something start biting on me, just me. My son lives with me and he says he is not affected by this. I can't see them. They came out and sprayed, but they are still there. What can I do? I am scared to go home. I can't go to sleep at night because they attack me all night long. I move around the house and they are there. I feel that something is in my shoes and can feel the crawling. I think I might have something in my bed, maybe a bug.

By Charlotte P.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Do you have bite-marks or welts? If so, I would check for bedbugs. If not, do you open your windows? You might have the tiny gnats that a lot of people call no-see-ums. You might need a smaller-mesh screen, or keep the windows closed. You could try using a bug spray at night (on yourself) and see if it helps. It is not a long-term solution, but would at least help you figure it out.

You might also have some sort of allergy? If you continue to be bothered, but have no bite marks, you might see your doctor. Good luck.

One more idea to think about, could it be cat fleas, they will bite humans, they like females best, and there eggs can lie dormant for up to two years and hatch when conditions are right. The only thing I've found that will help to get rid of them is those room foggers for bugs, but you have to keep doing it.

If it is no-see-ums, rather than use a spray, hang a sticky fly tape within inches of a very low watt bulb, turned on for the night. The bugs will head for the light and get stuck on the tape.

The thing that comes to mind to me also are fleas. We moved into an apartment that had been vacant for 2 years and my husband started getting bitten constantly. I was not bothered. It turned out to be fleas. The eggs were dormant all that time.

The way we figured it out, or rather the severity of the infestation, was by having him wear white socks and walking around on the carpet. Sure enough, they were many visible on the socks. Fleas are visible if you are looking for them. We had to use the foggers to get rid of them.

July 15, 2011 Flag

I have bugs that keep on biting me. I've had this problem for a year and I can't get rid of them! You can't see them unless you look closely. They're white and oval shaped with no visible legs. They are kind of hard, but can be squished.

They bite like bed bugs, but they bite during the day, too. They bite on my feet, arms, back, private area, scalp, and most annoyingly my face. I can feel them bite, too. The bites end up looking like zits.

I shower twice a day and they still keep coming back. I'm afraid I'm spreading them everywhere (furniture, people, my house, clothes).

Someone please help! What is biting me?

By AnoanymousD

They sound like mites, or lice, of some sort. Can you post a picture?

If you can't see them but can kill them, get one and enclose it inside a folded piece of scotch tape. Don't squash it, just seal it and it will of course die. Then, try and get it to a place where you can see it upclose. If it has any resemblance to a lice, it could be the dreaded "body lice" or crabs.

Then, you simply google what it is and how to get rid of it. Good luck, and yes, stay away from others till you find out what it is.

The problem isn't just what's biting you but that you and your house is full. My kids brought lice home from school and it is no easy process to rid the home and clothes of them and you at the same time. If you have pets they will have to be treated too. I don't know what part of the country you are from but if you get Tat sprayers (foggers) open all the closets cabinets and so forth drawers and put pets outside and you too. For the pet, get Advantagell as it kills mites too. It is a once a month flea, lice, mite treatment for dogs and cats. After a couple of hours go back inside, open up the house and take a shower and wash your clothes in vinegar and soap water and dry in very warm dryer.

The pillows and such will have to be dried in a hot dryer or washed and after the first time I usually sprayed with raid or any good flying insect spray like Tat. (Tat is cheapest) I hope this is not what you have but it isn't just you that gets it rich and poor alike end up some time in their life with something they don't like and didn't want.

My children picked lice up from an Indian headress that they all tried on at a museum field trip. After I treated the kids' hair and the pets, I vacuumed all the rooms, all upholstered items and the beds including the frames. My doctor said not to use flea spray, it was a waste of money. He told me to tie the bed pillows and throw cushions into large, heavy trash bags (double bag) as well as stuffed animals and put them in the garage for 48 hours to kill any lice and the nits. You can throw them in the dryer afterwards to pull out the dead bugs. And I used bug bombs that were for fleas after I vacuumed and then did the bombing again in ten days.

You could also call the places that exterminate bed bugs and see it their treatment kills other insects as they superheat the rooms. That would be a bit easier on you if it will work.

Good luck!

Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsJune 1, 2011
Insect
What is This Insect?
Bug Bites
Getting Rid of Invisible Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Tiny Orange Bug
Getting Rid of Tiny Orange Biting Bugs
🎉
🎄