Inexpensive 80th Birthday Gift Ideas

It's my grandfather's 80th birthday and I'm wanting gift ideas please. Kind regards.

Sherrie from Australia

If he is like my mom...

If he is like my mom, he has everything he wants and if he really wants something, he just buys it. This takes a little work ahead of time. Get a hold of his Christmas list or phone book. Write a letter (write on and copy it on neat paper) and send it to everyone telling them that it is your dad's 80th birthday. You want everyone to help make this a birthday that will not be forgotten. Ask them to write a special memory of your father and include a picture if possible. Give them a date you want it before the birthday. In the meantime, buy a scrapbook and get get some interesting pages and stickers. As the letters start arriving, start creating your book. Include a page for you and your family. Trust me this is a gift that he will not forget. We did this for my mom's 80th birthday and she still sits and looks at it today. We live in California, but she went to high school in Missouri and has continued many friendships over the years. Since they couldn't come to the party, they still got to participate. We only had notification of 2 deaths. This was one gift that keeps on giving. Connie

By admin2

80 year old's birthday

I used this on several birthday's, the theme was everyone bring a gift of "80" of anything, marbles for when you lose yours, after sex mints, doughnuts (if they have a real weakness for them), etc. You get the idea! Ms. Syd Barr Dunkirk, MD

By sydfred

80 years old birthday

I would think that postage stamps would make an ideal gift to anyone of any age. This would work for rest home residents too.

By ajdutchtown

80 Year Old's Birthday

What about a lap blanket or throw, decorated with the names/nicknames of members of the family: his grandkids, great-grands, siblings, and hand- or foot-outlines of the little ones. Could sew-on the names made with stencils, or write-on with fabric paint.

By themsubers

80 Year Old's Birthday

We are having a card shower for my grandmother's 80th birthday. We're sending notices to friends and family to send her a birthday card during that week. She repeatedly said she didn't want a party but we had to do something!

By Susan

80 Year Old's Birthday

We are doing a birthday party for dad who is turning 80 and we are all going in to get him and his wife a night a a bed and breakfast.

80 Year Old's Birthday

80 year-olds want to be young again! Take him on a vacation, to where he grew up! Do a double date, you, your man/woman, him, his wife (if any). Take him out to dinner! Glad to help!

By helping hand

80 Year Old's Birthday

I had an idea of making a family tree starting with the 80 yr.old or making a money tree with 80 dollars on it.

By Loni Shewey

80 Year Old's Birthday Good idea

For a 80 year old - the best gift is to show and speak to them of your love and appreciation. Why wait until they past away to hear how everyone feels? Get together people who have fond memories to share, especially about the goodness of that 80 year old. Not only speak of these things but video tape it also.
I bet you will see tears in their eyes - and they will have a wonderful video to rewatch, remember, and cherish their 80th birthday.

By Carol

Birthday suggestion for elder persons

I made a book year by year: I looked up which day of the week the person was born on to start my book followed by the persons zodiac sign; special events which happened only on that date; famous person's whom were born and died on that date; then followed up by doing each year with: presidents, population, first class postage stamp cost; then events which happened that year. Yes, it took quite sometime but let me tell you EVERYONE WAS VERY IMPRESSED.

By kimberly

80th birthday

I was just online looking for my dad an 80th birthday gift. I thought of a GPS system, renting a chello player for an hour, and of course a bottle of scotch on the side wrapped up in a pretty bow. Good luck on your search. (05/23/2007)

By joyce

80 Year Old's Birthday

I manage an Assisted Living and it just so happens my mom & dad are celebrating their 80th birthday this Saturday, (we combined both). I have purchased a massaging bedpillow (my mom sits and wathces tv in bed), some anti aging cremes for my mom, etc. Dad is a different story. He likes books (but many of the elderly have visual problems). A magnifying glass might be helpful. Lotions are always good as their skin becomes very dry. A pedicure/manicure is always good as well. Just a few quick ideas. Hope this helps!

By Joie Debold

80 Year Old's Birthday

I giving my dad, also 80, a couple of "Jackie How'' singlets (navy) as he used to wear them when he was working as a carpenter years ago. I'm machine embroidering them with a fishing pic as he liked fishing but also "I made it to 80" on one and "I am an OCTOGENARIAN" on the other one.

By Frankie

CD of stories and memories from friends and families

For my grandfather's 80th birthday, I made him a CD of well-wishes, and stories from his family and people he grew up with. Here's how I did it...

I sent an email to everybody I knew with a toll-free number so that they could call in and leave a message. In the email I asked them to forward the email on to anyone else that knew my grandfather. All the recordings were put on a CD. We played it at his birthday party, and he was very touched. He doesn't see too well these days, so it's something he really treasures.

I used a service called LifeOnRecord, they can make the CD for you, but I made the CD myself. The web address is (10/04/2008)

By Theresa G.

Inexpensive 80th Birthday Gift Ideas
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
80th Birthday Cake
80th Birthday Gift Ideas
daughter giving mother a gift
Thank You Speech for Mother's 80 Birthday
Gifts That Cost Nothing
Inexpensive Gift Ideas for Coworkers