Inexpensive Raised Beds

I am looking to find some free or inexpensive wood to build a raised garden. Other than Home Depot or Lowe's, any ideas where I can find this?

By Deno from Mesa, AZ

Answers:

Inexpensive Raised Beds

Look around your town. People throw away wood and all kinds of stuff. Check out lumber outlets - used lumber is sold cheap. I have a wood rail that I am using for a seat in my garden. The neighbor gave it to me, and some long steel that I will use on my garden wall. Good luck. (03/24/2010)

By iruiz27

Inexpensive Raised Beds

freecyle.org. Join a community near you and then offer a small item and then ask for the lumber. You will probably get several offers. (03/24/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Inexpensive Raised Beds

Another way you can cut down on costs is to go to car dealerships or auto repair stores and ask for their old used tires. most will give you tires for free, and they hold a lot of dirt. You can stack them if you want to plant potatoes, or if you simply don't want to bend over and have enough dirt or stone to fill up the bottom tires. Most used tires have been exposed to air long enough to oxidize, so you won't have to worry about chemicals leeching into the soil. (03/24/2010)

By Ladyscorpio0088

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I used cement blocks to make my raised bed garden. You do not need to remove the grass. It will last a life time, put down plastic or several layers of news papers then put the blocks around it on the edges of the plastic to hold it down and to keep the grass from growing in the garden, fill with composted manure. Sprinkle some 10-10-10-fertilizer on it, water it then you are ready to plant your garden and have veggies growing all the time, good luck. (03/24/2010)

By kffrmw88

Inexpensive Raised Beds

Many communities have sources for reusable building supplies. Our local source is called ReSource. Check with waste management companies and town or county government. (03/25/2010)

By Wynclute

Inexpensive Raised Beds

One year a neighbor had tons of wooden pallets from his work. It didn't take much to take out inside wood and had perfect size squares to put many kinds of veges in. (03/25/2010)

By msburny

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I just read about haybale gardening! Try this link: thegardenersrake.com/hay-bale-gardeneing-techniques (may have to cut and paste to your browser) or just Google haybale gardening! (03/26/2010)

By mom of towers

Inexpensive Raised Beds

I used old fence boards. Just find a contractor that puts up privacy fences and pick up their scrap wood. That and a couple of 2x4's for the corners and bottom to hold everything together. The beauty of it is the are already treated to withstand the weather. You can line the box with weed barrier cloth stapled to the sides and bottom to keep the soil in. Hope this helps. Good luck. (08/26/2010)

By rach1964

wood framed garden bed
Building Raised Beds
stack of railroad ties
Using Railroad Ties for Raised Vegetable Beds
Several raised garden beds full of lush plants
Making a Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
Gardening in Raised Beds
🎄