Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas

We are getting married on 06/12/09 and having the reception on 06/13/09. I need ideas for a very inexpensive reception, under $2000. My colors are chocolate and teal. It's an outside reception by a pool. Thanks very much.

Melody from Huntsville, AL

Inexpensive Reception Ideas

One of your biggest costs for your wedding reception will be the food, if you plan your reception not at a meal time you will save yourself lots. A pool reception in my mind lends itself to a barbecue with a buffet for salads and you could then have an ice-cream kiosk for dessert. Everyone loves ice cream! Old fashioned ice creams in cones will be much cheaper than a big dessert and you could have lots of fun toppings.

There are lots more cheap reception menu ideas here,

For your decorations have sways of teal draped across the sides with fairy lights to give a sparkle - make sure it is safe with the pool. If you need extra height, fill pots with clay and secure branches into the pot. Cover the pot in chocolate color paint and then hang tea lights/ candles from the branches. (01/28/2009)

By rarara

Inexpensive Reception Ideas

I had a beautiful reception on my parents' deck. My mom and my aunties did all of the food themselves and it was delicious, and much more special to me. The only thing that they didn't make themselves was my cake. My mother bought the cake and assembled the layers at home.
Good luck! (01/28/2009)

By bailegirl

Inexpensive Reception Ideas

Have everything that is cheaper in white, then have a few chocolate and teal touches. Buy large spools of ribbon in your colors and use them to decorate white things. Spray paint bottles or jars with brown spray paint and put white/ivory flowers in them and decorate with teal bows. Tufts of ribbon (wired) can be put in floral arrangements/bouquets.

You'll have a job finding any fresh flowers in teal, but silk ones may be possible. Be careful your teals are all the same; some are greener or bluer. A range of darker and lighter teals will look classier and more natural, especially with the flowers. Take photos with and without flash; it shows up whether your colors are in harmony or not (had same problem with lilac). Generally, having everything precisely matching makes anything slightly off look odd, but if there is a range of intensity in colors, it looks meant and is far more sophisticated.

Love your color scheme; wish I still organized weddings! If you can get paper napkins in chocolate and teal (or a softer aqua that tones in) alternate them at places with ivory/white ones which cost less. If it is a small wedding, you could dye fabric tablecloths and napkins to your color.

By attila

Inexpensive Wedding Reception Ideas
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Wedding Punch Recipes
Candle centerpiece at a wedding.
Wedding Candle Centerpiece Ideas
Coffee and dessert reception.
Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas