Information on Zebra Finches

I have a pair of Zebra finches that have both been sitting on 8 eggs for almost three weeks now. My concern is when I look at the eggs I see yolk and a hollow space.

I read somewhere that I should be able to see small veins. Does this mean the eggs are not fertile? This happened with the last clutch (I tossed them out at 3 1/2 weeks). I don't understand what's going on.

By Christie from Dubuque, IA

Answers:

Information on Zebra Finches

I have had finches also. Female birds can lay eggs that are not fertile. Finch incubation is from 13-18 days. If they haven't hatched by then they are not fertile. I would just get them out of the cage and dispose of them. Anyway, good luck. (01/04/2010)

By LULUbobo

Information on Zebra Finches

If you think that the eggs are not fertile, go ahead and let her sit on them for a couple of weeks. If you take them away before she feels that she has completed her "mission" she will continue to lay, and could very possibly get calcium-depletion from the continued egg production. (01/11/2010)

By one.of.a.kind

Information on Zebra Finches

I assume you are candling the eggs to visualize them. That is good. Are the parents turning the eggs in the nest? They should be if they think there is a possibility. The parents can delay hatching and slow development by varying the temperature of the eggs.
In the last clutch, when you "tossed the eggs" did you crack them open to see what was going on?
Usually the parents will move the eggs out of the nest or quit sitting them if they are not developing. They will then mate and replace them.

Maybe your male or female is infertile. Check their nutrition, calcium source, and water supply. Vary their food. Grow some of your own. It they can get some direct sun on part of the cage part of the day, that is a good thing. (05/18/2010)

By consulted

Information on Zebra Finches
Fledgling Beige Bengalese
Breeding Society Finches
Pair of Zebra Finches on Perch
Breeding Zebra Finches
Caring for Zebra Finches
Caring for Zebra Finches
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
🎉
🎄