Ink on Leather Car Upholstery

I have a 2000 GMC Jimmy and the seats are a beige leather, they have some dark blue ink pen on them from my 3 year old. The car is my sister's and is fairly new to them and I am in desperate need of advice. I tried a little soap and water and then I tried a little rubbing alcohol, but it is not looking good for me. Help.

Crystal

Answers:

Hairspray or Isopropyl Alcohol

Have you tried hairspray or isopropyl alcohol? Both have worked very well for me in the past. (03/05/2005)

By Dana

Anti-bacterial Hand Gel

Anti-bacterial hand gel works very well on ink stains. I've used it with great success on all kinds of stains including permanent marker. It works great without harming any surface I've used it on. (03/05/2005)

By jeangnome46

Cheap Hairspray

If the ink is not a marker, spray hair spray on an area that won't show first to be sure it won't ruin your upholstry. The cheaper the better. Dab with hot water and soap after a few minutes of sitting untouched. You may need to do this several times to remove all of the ink. Markers will come out with a product from a janitorial supply company designed for the project. Each store caries different products.
Happy ink be gone. (03/07/2005)

By Julie

Aftershave

Aftershave works well. Personally, I used a generic brand with great success, and I've heard Adida's brand works well also. It got the black permanent marker off of our leather couch. (04/17/2005)

By Greg

Professional Kit

Aftershave, may work on a glazed finish leather, but not on a porous leather. Also, it can remove the colour if not applied carefully.

Leather is expensive and needs a professional kit when it comes to ink removal. Try this one: Leather Master Leather Care Kit with Ink Lifter (09/24/2005)

By ben123

Cutter's Insect Repellent

We tried almost every household product we could find. Do not use nail polish remover though. It takes out the stain, but takes out the dye with it. We actually ended up having great success with Cutter's Insect Repellent. We sprayed it on and left it there for about 2 seconds and then wiped it off immediately. Do not spray and wait. It will lighten the leather slightly, but if you spray and wipe off after 2 seconds you should be fine. (02/29/2008)

By Jennifer

Hairspray

I just tried antibacterial gel on my car armrest and it didn't do much. I then tried the hairspray and it worked, but be very careful and leave it on for two seconds then blot off clean area with the antibacterial gel. I did not try removing the whole thing it is very faint. I just did not want to risk the hairspray damaging the leather. (03/26/2008)

By E

Methylated Spirits

I have had success using methylated spirits and a cloth on most surfaces, just not sure how it would go on a large area. Can it be tested in a less obvious area? (03/04/2005)

By AussieLuci