Installing Self-Stick Tiles Over Ceramic Tiles

I am trying to install self-stick floor tiles over an existing ceramic tile bathroom floor. They will not stick on that surface. Is there some type of bonding agent that would adhere the 2 surfaces? I am trying to avoid doing a sub floor.

By Megan from Albany, NY

Answers:

The ceramic tiles may have been sealed with a polyurethane type sealer or wax that helps them to remain shiny and easy to clean. You could try a product called TSP (trisodiumphosphate) it will cut the wax or even grease and prep the surface but, it's hard to tell without seeing the tile. They may have a very high gloss surface without any sealant on them.

Is the area too big to knock the tiles off and start with a clean surface? (I know and a big mess, too). If the tile surface is flat and tight with small grout areas you may be able to use an additional adhesive (like paneling/construction adhesive) but if your surface is uneven you won't get a nice even surface for your tiles you want to apply. A point of reference might be [diy.com] or [handyman.com]. Maggie (03/27/2009)

By rowinghome

As much as you don't want to hear this, you really need to remove the original tile and start over. You need a flat, level surface to work on and it just won't work well to put tile over tile. Sorry! (03/28/2009)

By Allison5

Allison and Maggie make great points. I'm the DIY guy that can be counted on to do the right thing, only after I've tried every cockamamie short cut first! I used peel and stick tiles about five times. Three of those five times I tore them out after less than two years because they looked horrible. I put a quality vinyl self stick tile over an old bathroom ceramic tile floor. After a time, the impression of the tile underneath was showing through the new vinyl tile. The two times I used the self stick tile and the job looked great was when it was installed on a properly prepared sub-floor. Chopping out the old tile may sound tedious but will save you some grief later. Contact the manufacturer of the self stick tile and there is usually a customer advice line. Ask for pointers. They will not advise you to do anything that will void the warranty. Tom (03/29/2009)

By Nockmoi