Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

Hi everybody! I bought a pair of adorable dark denim capris on eBay and got and tried them on today. Only one problem. The tag says 3, but they are 3 inches too big around the waist for me. Is there any way I can shrink them? I do it unintentionally all the time, but hell if I know how when I want to. Thanks for you help. Love you all, no kidding.

Suzanne S.

Answers:

Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

Three inches is a lot to shrink. First I'd try returning them. If you can't, use very hot water and add 1/2 C ammonia to keep the color from bleeding out. Then hot dryer and see how much it brings them down. You might get lucky. Good luck! (02/23/2005)

By klucretia

Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

When I was a kid, my sister liked her Levis form fitting. The first thing she did when she put a new pair on was go jump in the river. Then, she would wear them until they dried. Viola! She had a pair if perfect fitting jeans. No joke! A bathtub full of warm water would probably work just as well, if you don't have a river handy. Be more comfortable, too. (02/24/2005)

By Bert in OR

Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

Just wash them in hot water and put them in the dryer until they are completely dry. You may need to try it a second time, I have had them shrink a bit more on the
second pass. (05/16/2005)

By Zahn

Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

Denim is having max 3.5% residual shrinkage before wash. You have washed the garment, hence you cannot shrink it up to 3 inches, so your only option is to go to a tailor.

Don't wash and use any chemical, it will lose the shade and luster. (02/08/2007)

By sirajuddin

Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

Washing jeans in hot water doesn't shrink them, according to Wrangler, but drying them in a hot dryer does. The hotter it is and the longer you leave them in, the more they'll shrink. (07/14/2007)

By Rachel

Intentionally Shrinking Jeans

I work at the Levi's store and we actually tell people to sit in a bath of hot water (as hot as you can get it without burning you) for about a half hour, longer if you can handle it. Afterwards, lay them to dry, this is supposed to make your jeans custom fit to your body. The booklets that come along with our vintage jeans also describe this method as well. (04/15/2008)

By Anna

Side view of a torso in a pair of jeans that is a few inches too big around
Intentionally Shrinking Jeans
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎄