Introducing Our Cats to a New Dog

Three weeks ago I got a 7 month old puppy. I have 2 older cats and I can't get them to come downstairs. I've had to move their food and litter box up there.

What can I do to make the 3 of them to become friends, the puppy is willing. I've tried to introduce him to them slowly and I don't let him bark at them. I miss seeing the cats move around the whole house. Any suggestions appreciated.

By Cherrie from Rock Island, IL

Answers:

Introducing Our Cats to a New Dog

You didn't say how old the cats are.The older the cats the harder it is for them to adjust to the dog.They may never become friends but eventually the cats will tolerate the dog to a point. You have to give them lots of time and this can't be forced. One day you'll notice one of the cats starting to come down and then slowly the other one for short periods of time. This may take months. But be patient and things always find a way to work out. (10/15/2010)

By xintexas

Introducing Our Cats to a New Dog

Xintexas is right on the mark, don't push it, but what you can do is give the cats a little extra attention. Some extra tasty treat. Soon they will come down for that tasty morsel. (10/16/2010)

By leekelly

Introducing Our Cats to a New Dog

3 weeks isn't that long, we have introduced many dogs to cats, and cats to cats and it takes as long as it takes. Each pet has their own comfort level. You may find the cats come out at night when they know the puppy is sleeping at first and then get more comfortable. You may want to keep the food downstairs and that will encourage them to come down. Appetite is a great motivator. Good luck. (10/18/2010)

By merlene

Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
A man introducing his dog to a father and child.
Introducing Your Dog to New People
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
🎉
🎄