AdviceDogs

Introducing a More Aggressive Breed to Resident Dogs

I have 3 mixed breed dogs now in my home that are placid, friendly, and small. They range from 1-2 1/2 years old and the oldest is clearly seen as the dominant one in the pack which is what I feel is right.

After a string of unfortunate incidents over the last couple of years where my safety has been jeopardised I have been considering getting a dog typically seen as "aggressive" ie. a Doberman or a Chow-Chow, for my own peace of mind as my other dogs are small and not intimidating in looks or temperament.

Do you think that this could be a good idea? Or do you think it would throw my pack completely off course? All answers are welcomed.

By Katie

A larger more aggressive dog may attack & possibly kill any of the smaller dogs - is it worth it ?

Ps. the dog in the photo is just beautiful -

good luck with your problem.

You don't need to get an aggressive dog, just a protective one..there IS a difference. I would suggest a German Shepherd. They are very intelligent, protect their family, and get along well with other pets. I have had three of them and all have gotten along very well with our kids, cats, smaller dogs, and rabbits. They look very intimidating, but are great family dogs!