Introducing a New Puppy to a Cat

A cat and a puppy.
You just brought home your new bouncy puppy and now you need to introduce it to the resident cat. This is a guide about introducing a new puppy to a cat.

How do you think a four year old cat would behave if I introduced a Bichon Frise puppy into her home?

By Glenis from Leicestershire

It might take some time but they will get along. You might want to try having the puppy on a leash for at least the first time so they can sniff each other. If the puppy wants to chase the cats, definitely deter it in some way. Don't give up and give one of them away (I get so frustrated when I hear of things like that). It just takes some patience and boundaries. :)

Suggestion: Take an animal crate, good-sized, and put the puppy in it. Let them get acquainted. Then put the cat in the crate and the puppy outside. Switch them back and forth every couple of hours. Use this method as long as it takes for them to at least make a truce. Then let them mix under your supervision and see how it works out. Over the years, They may be friends or just ignore each other. I've introduced many animals this way and it always seems to work. Good luck! --shoe

You have to keep them seperated( it could take 2 weeks). Keep a door between them where they can smell each other, but no contact. At first they might be afraid of each other, but they will get used to eachother, and be curious enough to meet.

In all my experience (several family pets and fosters) the best thing to do it just let them meet right off the bat. It may take a few weeks of suffering through hissing/growling/barking, but eventually they'll get used to each other. I've never had animals get aggressive with each other physically. All huff and puff. I introduce my cat to our new puppy (lab/husky) and at first she hissed and spat at him but would gradually venture closer and sniff him out. Now they are best friends.

My husband and I rescued a kitten almost a month ago. She got along with our roommate's cats. We ended up with a puppy recently, and our kitten does not like her at all. The puppy loves the kitten and just wants to play with her. The nicest we can get the kitten to be is if we have one pet on each end of couch. It has been almost a week. I was wondering if there was a way I could help them get along. My 2-year old likes to hold the kitten and she has scratched him hissing and swatting at the dog.

A week is not long. The kitten has to get used to all the human and animal scents. Give her time.

This will take a little more time but it may be a good idea to keep them apart for a while (maybe change rooms everyday but leave the sleeping things behind) especially if the kitten is scratching or biting.

Patience is a good thing here and not a forced "get along" fast approach.

I found my first cat thrown in the gutter on the side of the road. I rescued him and brought him home. A few weeks later we took a puppy from a friend. It took 3 weeks for the two animals to adjust.

Once they adjusted it was so cute. The cat would go out in the yard and drink from the dog's bowl or eat from his food dish.

Give them time. They will become good friends. The two are still very young and they will become playmates soon.

We have a 2 year old cat whom we've had since she was about 3-4 months old. she was rescued, and has always been very skittish and afraid of everything. When we have company over, even for an entire weekend, our cat will hide the whole time only coming out to eat during the night.

We recently brought home a 4-week-old Pit puppy who can barely walk or see yet since he was the runt, but is getting better everyday. The first day, our cat hid and acted like she was upset at us, not even eating dinner that night. She is a little curious though, keeping her distance, but approaching until the pup makes a sudden move and she freaks out and runs away. It has been 3 days now, and she is able to stay in the same room now and is being herself again, but is still really afraid of him and doesn't let him come near her. It may be too early to tell, but is there a chance they will get along and be friends? Or did we make a mistake by our cat?

By The Smiths

The fact she is starting to come out is a good sign, but I would strongly urge you to talk to a Vet or animal behavioralist, you need pro advice here. Six years ago we had several cats and rescued a three month old puppy. They were skittish at first, but eventually relaxed when they realized he wasn't really that interested in them. We also figured they may have been afraid they were being replaced and so made much of them with extra treats and lovings. Good luck!

My new Pit puppy wants to "play", but the two three year old cats just hiss and growl from under the bed when he comes around. It's been 5 days now. One of the cats comes out, but the other stays way clear from my puppy. Is this normal?

By Lulu

Yes. Cats don't gravitate towards dogs. Give it time and they will probably like each other better. They don't have to actually like each other, just not hurt each other! LOL. I am at this moment visiting friends for the first time with my new dogs. My friends have cats. The dogs have been fine with the cats, but the cats are still pretty leery of the dogs.