Iris Photos

Category Garden
The iris is found in a wide variety of colors and configurations, making them a popular subject of garden photos. This page contains iris photos.

I was wondering the name of this flower. Thanks in advance.

Libby from Canada

The lavendar flower is an iris. I have lots of them in my garden. The one with the white flowers is Lily of the Valley. For sure on both. Check the internet and you will see.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
You won't find an iris more plain or simple than this. It was about the only one to adorn the flower beds around 1900, before intensive cross breeding began. I still grow it. It's the first of all my iris to bloom, sort of a harbinger of what's to come.

I don't much care for Nature out of it's element, but with the original picture having such a busy and cluttered background, and with my subject often considered a lesser of its kind, I decided to showcase it in a complimentary and regal setting.

Comment Like this photo? 5

Thank you

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
There is nothing like the beauty of springtime. So many choices for gardens, beautiful colors, and something fun to do as a family. I love when you walk outside after it rains, and find rain drops on flowers. The air smells so fresh.

Photo Location
Tacoma, Washington

Comment Like this photo? 13

Beautiful

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Indulge me if you will. Listen to a minute of Marty Robbins singing 'Streets Of Laredo'.

Now, listen to a minute of James Galway playing 'Endearing Young Charms'

Did you find many similarities? I'm sure you did. As with most all songs, for each one, there is another that sounds similar. Only rarely will you hear a song so unique, there is no other that sounds even remotely similar.

The same holds true for flowers. When you think of it, appearance wise, just how far is a dahlia from a chrysanthemum? Yet, there are a few flowers for which there is no comparison. The iris is such a flower.

With it's three upright petals called 'standards' and it's three downward petals called 'falls', it has an appearance unlike any other flower. Couple this unique arrangement of petals with the fact that the iris is available in most any color and combination of colors found in the rainbow, and you have my reasons for believing the iris to be the most beautiful flower in the world.

Many thanks to my sister who gave me the pictured iris plant.

Comment Like this photo? 11

Never realized how gorgeous an Iris is. I've actually met a few peopled named Iris, but never really knew what the flower looked like. I love it. Makes me want to sew a big flowy dress based on its shape!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Yellow Iris - brilliant yellow iris against wood fence

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

I thought I might have lost this iris during a time when I was moving them to a location where the rhizomes would get more sun. I was happily surprised today to find I had not. I don't know it's name. I do know it is the most intense yellow iris I have ever seen.

Russet Iris - beautiful russet and purple iris against a wooden fence

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

My iris are beginning to bloom. I hope to be able to share some nice pictures with you. I'll start with this early bloomer. I've had it for years. Over time, I've forgotten its name. With or without a name, it's still rather impressive, don't you think?

An Iris I Call 'Appreciation'

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Just look at the beard on this guy. It's the most brilliant beard I've ever seen!

purple and white iris

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

Iris in all its beauty!

Yellow Two Tone Iris - yellow and white iris with orange in center

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

The iris is such a pretty flower, for most of my life I thought there was no such thing as an ugly iris. One day while visiting an iris farm, I saw such an iris. The pictured iris is not ugly. It's not one of the newer, stunning beauties, either. It's a keeper, though.

light purple iris

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Many of you will be familiar with this flower. In the last century it adorned many flower beds and front lawns. If it has a registered name, I don't know what it is. Most home growers knew the flower by it's very common name, 'Flags'.

Iris Knoxville

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

This image was taken by my daughter. She has a short walk from a parking garage to her place of employment so she passes the First Presbyterian Church everyday.

A yellow iris bloom.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 10

My cousin sent me this bearded iris from Arkansas last year. I put it in a pot so I would remember where it was. This is the first bloom, and the color is so rich. It reminds me of orange sherbet.

Irises in the Spring

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I had planted my irises a few years ago. They have really taken off well and are beautiful this year. They are native around here and grow very well in our climate.

Blue Iris (Upstate NY)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

One of the first flowers that blooms in my garden each spring. The color never fails to take my breath away.

White is not my favorite color for flowers, but Iris is my favorite flower. I wanted to share my first for this season. I'm terrible at keeping my flowers properly labeled. I think this little beauty is Lacy Snowflake.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Closeup of Pink Iris in Garden

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Photo was taken of some of the iris in my memory garden for my late husband and my little grandson. I love the color. Since moving to the city, I miss that garden very much.

Photo of Iris after watering

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

This is an iris that lives in my Mom's garden. They surprise me every year with how beautiful they can be. Sadly they only last a couple weeks in spring, so I only have a limited amount of time to get all my iris pictures for the year.

Bed of Irises

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 11

After many tries to get something to grow in this bed that is always in the direct sun, these iris came to the rescue, and get better every year. I just love them!

Purple iris.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6

I love flowers, especially perennials. More every year is fantastic. More to view, more to share, and more varieties always being developed. I just wish people would share more than they do.

Irises and Azaleas

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

This is a shot of some of my irises and azaleas this spring of 2010. The irises bloomed first. When the Azaleas started blooming, Double Pink Ruffle It made a beautiful sight.

Skating Party Bearded Iris

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

Congratulations on this first issue of the gardening newsletter Susan. I hope it will be as successful as your others. (I'm sure it will). Here is a picture of some flowers in my gardens.

White and Yellow Bearded Iris

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Having just moved to Washington this past fall, I've been waiting to see what flowers are planted around the house that we moved into. What a wonderful surprise to have this bed of gorgeous yellow and white iris!

Irises in Bloom

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

These are a couple of picture's we took of some beautiful Irises from my Mom and Dad's back yard. I just love the color! We refer to their back yard as the Botanical Gardens.

Purple Iris in Ireland

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

We had been in the castle garden at Lismore in Ireland that beautiful day, and the iris were in wonderfully beautiful bloom. There were many, many blooms in that part of the garden. The color was outstanding. What a peaceful place it was.

Purple and white flower.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

I took this picture right after it rained.

Orange iris.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is a picture I took for Easter last year.

First Iris Blooms

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is the first bloom of my irises. For two years all I have gotten were leaves! Irises multiply rapidly, so it is imperative that they be thinned out every year or two.