Iris Photos

The iris is found in a wide variety of colors and configurations, making them a popular subject of garden photos. This page contains iris photos.

May 26, 2007 Flag

I was wondering the name of this flower. Thanks in advance.

Libby from Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The original picture in the posting looks like a bearded iris. I believe the second picture posted is the Lilly of the Valley.

The lavendar flower is an iris. I have lots of them in my garden. The one with the white flowers is Lily of the Valley. For sure on both. Check the internet and you will see.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

April 28, 2016 Flag

Indulge me if you will. Listen to a minute of Marty Robbins singing 'Streets Of Laredo'.

Now, listen to a minute of James Galway playing 'Endearing Young Charms'

Did you find many similarities? I'm sure you did. As with most all songs, for each one, there is another that sounds similar. Only rarely will you hear a song so unique, there is no other that sounds even remotely similar.

The same holds true for flowers. When you think of it, appearance wise, just how far is a dahlia from a chrysanthemum? Yet, there are a few flowers for which there is no comparison. The iris is such a flower.

With it's three upright petals called 'standards' and it's three downward petals called 'falls', it has an appearance unlike any other flower. Couple this unique arrangement of petals with the fact that the iris is available in most any color and combination of colors found in the rainbow, and you have my reasons for believing the iris to be the most beautiful flower in the world.

Many thanks to my sister who gave me the pictured iris plant.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 8 Comments

May 4, 2015 Flag

Photo Description
There is nothing like the beauty of springtime. So many choices for gardens, beautiful colors, and something fun to do as a family. I love when you walk outside after it rains, and find rain drops on flowers. The air smells so fresh.

Photo Location
Tacoma, Washington

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 10 Comments

June 6, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
Iris in all its beauty!

Photo Location
Raleigh NC

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 25, 2016 Flag

Photo Description
Many of you will be familiar with this flower. In the last century it adorned many flower beds and front lawns. If it has a registered name, I don't know what it is. Most home growers knew the flower by it's very common name, 'Flags'.

I tried to get a number count for all the registered bearded iris. I thought it would make this post a bit more interesting. I couldn't find one. There was/is a lady in my city who had/has an iris farm. The last time I visited her farm was about 25 years ago. I asked her how many different iris she had. She replied "Well over 5000". Hers was a rather small collection.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say there are probably around 50,000 different bearded iris. Make that 50,001. I crossed two iris years ago and came up with my own unique hybrid. Crossing iris is rather simple. Most anyone could do it. It's not like crossing roses, where knowing chromosome count and other esoteric data is very important.

Regardless how many different bearded iris there are, I feel sure that simply because the flag I have pictured has been around so long, and probably much used for breeding purposes; most of it's genetic information is coursing through thousands of the beautiful, modern day iris. With the iris being (at least to me), the most beautiful flower in the world, this lowly flag has left quite a legacy.

Tomorrow, I will dig up these modest, old fashioned flowers and place them by the curbside. I will put up a sign that says 'Free Iris'. And you can bet your Sweet Aspidistra, I won't give them all away. For the most beautiful flower in the world, I want at least one copy of as many as I can get.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

June 3, 2011 Flag

This image was taken by my daughter. She has a short walk from a parking garage to her place of employment so she passes the First Presbyterian Church everyday.

Iris Knoxville

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 7, 2011 Flag

My cousin sent me this bearded iris from Arkansas last year. I put it in a pot so I would remember where it was. This is the first bloom, and the color is so rich. It reminds me of orange sherbet.

A yellow iris bloom.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 25, 2012 Flag

One of the first flowers that blooms in my garden each spring. The color never fails to take my breath away.

Blue Iris (Upstate NY)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 2, 2011 Flag

I had planted my irises a few years ago. They have really taken off well and are beautiful this year. They are native around here and grow very well in our climate.

Irises in the Spring

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 15, 2011 Flag

Photo was taken of some of the iris in my memory garden for my late husband and my little grandson. I love the color. Since moving to the city, I miss that garden very much.

Closeup of Pink Iris in Garden

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 20, 2011 Flag

This is an iris that lives in my Mom's garden. They surprise me every year with how beautiful they can be. Sadly they only last a couple weeks in spring, so I only have a limited amount of time to get all my iris pictures for the year.

Photo of Iris after watering

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 1, 2006 Flag

Congratulations on this first issue of the gardening newsletter Susan. I hope it will be as successful as your others. (I'm sure it will). Here is a picture of some flowers in my gardens.

Skating Party Bearded Iris

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 15, 2010 Flag

I love flowers, especially perennials. More every year is fantastic. More to view, more to share, and more varieties always being developed. I just wish people would share more than they do.

Purple iris.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 14, 2010 Flag

This is a shot of some of my irises and azaleas this spring of 2010. The irises bloomed first. When the Azaleas started blooming, Double Pink Ruffle It made a beautiful sight.

Irises and Azaleas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 15, 2005 Flag

This is a picture I took for Easter last year.

Orange iris.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 6, 2013 Flag

White is not my favorite color for flowers, but Iris is my favorite flower. I wanted to share my first for this season. I'm terrible at keeping my flowers properly labeled. I think this little beauty is Lacy Snowflake.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2011 Flag

After many tries to get something to grow in this bed that is always in the direct sun, these iris came to the rescue, and get better every year. I just love them!

Bed of Irises

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 17, 2011 Flag

We had been in the castle garden at Lismore in Ireland that beautiful day, and the iris were in wonderfully beautiful bloom. There were many, many blooms in that part of the garden. The color was outstanding. What a peaceful place it was.

Purple Iris in Ireland

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 9, 2008 Flag

This is the first bloom of my irises. For two years all I have gotten were leaves! Irises multiply rapidly, so it is imperative that they be thinned out every year or two.

First Iris Blooms

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 22, 2011 Flag

These are a couple of picture's we took of some beautiful Irises from my Mom and Dad's back yard. I just love the color! We refer to their back yard as the Botanical Gardens.

Irises in Bloom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 6, 2012 Flag

I took this picture right after it rained.

Purple and white flower.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 7, 2011 Flag

We are working to make a new iris bed on the "Path Garden". This spot was damaged some by the renters in the house next to this short wall. So we've decided to add some donated tiles to make it a home for bearded iris.

Iris Bed in Path Garden

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Photos GardenFebruary 5, 2014
English daisies.
Taking Photos of Your Garden
First Iris Blooms
Growing Irises
old photo
Determining the Value of Historic Photos
Growing Miniature Iris (Dwarf Iris)
Growing Miniature Iris (Dwarf Iris)
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:41:36 AM on 10.0.1.155 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.