Irish Potato Candy Recipes

Category Candies

Make cute potato shaped confections, usually containing potatoes and powdered sugar. This page contains Irish potato candy recipes.

These delicious candies are easy to make and can be stored for a while, because the sugar helps preserve them.

Directions:

1. Take one medium potato, boil with skin on until tender, then cool. I do this the night before making the rolls.
  2. Peel and remove skin and dark spots. Quarter and dice into mixing bowl.
  3. Add 1 to 2 pounds powdered sugar and mix until mixture looks like cookie dough.
  4. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring or butter nut flavoring.
  5. Take dough and roll out on waxpaper to the size of a piecrust.
  6. Put a 16 ounce jar of peanut butter in a small bowl and add some powdered sugar to thicken.
  7. Spread peanut butter mixture onto "pie crust" and roll up like a jelly roll.
  8. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate overnight until set, then slice like pinwheels.

Source: Mother-in-law, she used to make this to send to people in war because it lasts for a long time because the sugar preserves it.

By Debra from Smyrna, GA

My grandmother used to make potato candy pinwheels that had a layer of chocolate and a layer of peanut butter, so they were much prettier than just the potato and peanut butter. Anyone know the recipe for these? I've never made them, so I'm not quite sure how to work in the chocolate layer. Thanks!

By Nanny's Girl

I am looking for the recipe for Irish potato candy.

By Edith from Waynesville, NC

Answer Was this helpful? 2

I am looking for the recipe for potato candy.

By Sharon from Sacramento, CA

Answers:

Potato Candy

Check the following sites:

http://www.allrecipes.com

or

http://www.food.com (10/24/2010)

By MCW

Potato Candy

You can also use the above recipe, omit the peanut butter and roll the potato and icing sugar mixture into small balls, using about 1 teaspoon for each ball. Roll each ball in melted chocolate, and roll in dessicated (finely chopped) coconut while the chocolate is still warm. Place on wire cake racks to cool and set. It's a good idea to put waxed paper under the cake racks, as the chocolate will drip. My grandma always used to add some flavoring to the potato and icing sugar mixture: peppermint, almond, or rum are really good. You can also tint the mixture to your favorite colour. We do green and red for Christmas. (10/28/2010)

By catastrofy

Potato Candy

Sorry, I guess the recipe is in the archives! One small boiled potato, mashed, while still warm, add enough powdered (icing) sugar to make a firm dough. It takes a lot of icing sugar! Then add colouring and/or flavouring, if desired, then form a small ball and roll in the chocolate and coconut and set aside, on the cake rack. You have to make them one at a time! They are delicious! (10/28/2010)

By catastrofy

My aunt who lived in West Virginia and has passed use to make potato candy. That's what she called it anyway. I thought I had written it down, but I have either lost it or I didn't write it down. I know she boiled potatoes and peeled them. But from there I don't remember what she did. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Can you help me please? Thank you for your help.

Joan from Des Moines, IA

Answers:

Potato Candy

Got it right so far. After the potatoes are peeled, mash them and add powdered sugar to it till you get a dough you can roll out. Then spread peanut butter on it. Roll it up in a log fashion and wrap in wet dish towel and put it in the frig for a couple of hours and then get it out and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Remember a small potato makes a lot of the dough. (05/02/2008)

By huggy46

Potato Candy

The secret to this amazing and cheap candy is to make it while the potato is hot. Boil a small (one that fits in your hand is fine) potato till it's tender or done. Peel as fast as you can, don't allow for the potato to cool. The powdered sugar adheres better with the heat of the potato. Mash the potato with a fork, while hot, in a bowl and stir in sifted powdered sugar till you make a stiff batter. Small lumps of potatoes are fine. Roll out your dough to a thin layer, spread with peanut butter of any variety and roll up jelly roll style. Wrap with wax paper and chill at least an hour till firm. Slice crosswise into medallions with a pretty design, this should make a lot of pieces. Store covered in the fridge if it lasts that long. Enjoy. My mom used to make this for us, when we were growing up. (05/06/2008)

By badwater

Potato Candy

(submitted via email)
You are exactly correct with recipe.
Although I put 1/2 tsp of vanilla in the potato mix prior to confectioners sugar.

Carole (11/24/2008)

By jess

Potato Candy

This candy has been in my family for years. Its an old Irish tradition. Try adding a little cream cheese in with the mashed potato, vanilla, and sugar. You can't taste it ( I promise, I hate cream cheese), but its makes your dough easier to roll and it doesn't crack as easily. (12/17/2008)

By Ashley

Potato Candy

I have been making this for years also. I decided to try a switch one day with over ripened bananas and everyone loved it. Smash up a banana instead of the potato! If you like the old favorite peanut butter and banana sandwiches you'll like this. I haven't done it yet, but I also thought of adding some marshmallow fluff to the peanut butter layer, like the fluffier nutter sandwich. (12/20/2008)

By marisa0407

Potato Candy

Warning - a very little potato will make a ton of candy! Start with a quarter of a small potato or less 'til you see how much it makes! (12/08/2009)

By cowhick

This candy has been in our family ever since I was a small child. We all love it and it is easy to make. It is called potato candy. This the recipe 1 small potato - 1 (1lb) box powdered sugar- peanut butter. Peel and boil potato until tender. Mash with powdered sugar. Roll on flat surface and spread with thin coat of peanut butter. Roll like a jelly roll. Chill at least one hour and slice into thin strips.

Carol from Missouri.

Answers:

Potato Candy

My mother in law made this for years. We have been looking and looking for the recipe and are so thankful to find this posted. Mom developed Alzheimer's and passed away so we have been at a loss as to the recipe.

Thank you (12/22/2004)

By guest

Potato Candy

This sounds so easy, and economical too. Having never heard of this before, I have a a few questions. What do you do after you slice it? Must it be eaten right away? Do you dry it first? Can you, and how do you, store it? I really want to try this one. Thanks! (12/22/2004)

By msjudishome

Potato Candy

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I remember when I was a kid my Mom would make this. If I remember right. Seems like she also used some chocolate too, but I'm not sure. It was back when I was little. (12/22/2004)

By Vickie

Potato Candy

I have been making that candy too, only I don't use the potato. Just butter, powdered sugar, and peanut butter. (12/23/2004)

By shannon in NC

Potato Candy

It is good to know that someone else on this planet has heard of, and loves to eat, this wonderful candy! I got the recipe from my mother who got it from her mother-in-law. Nobody I have met has ever heard of it. To answer msjudishome's questions, you can eat it right away or not. Personally, I like to let it sit a couple of days, but that is personal preference. To store it, I put it on a paper plate with wax paper between layers and wrap it in aluminum foil. (12/29/2004)

By Dawn - Colorado

Potato Candy

Great idea! We're going to give this ago but we're going to use sweet potato instead ;-) (07/27/2005)

By ButteryHOLsomeness

Potato Candy

Did you drain the potato or leave it in the water the potato was boiled in? Make sure the potato is taken out of the water, let some of the steam come off, then mash it. The only thing I can think of to turn it like gravy would be to leave the potato water in the recipe.

Susan from ThriftyFun (12/07/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Potato Candy

I never knew so many people know about this candy. I have a lot of friends I told and none of them knew about it. I learned it from my mom and she learned it from hers. (12/08/2006)

By Snavely

Potato Candy

My grandmother taught me to make potato candy when I was a child and it has become a tradition in our family - this year at our family holiday gathering we are teaching all the grandchildren from ages 2 - 10 to make it. The fun part is when you add a small amount of the powdered sugar to the mashed potato (a very small potato is used-about the size of a large egg) and the potato becomes liquid, then continue to add more powdered sugar until the consistency of pie dough. We have used food coloring to color the dough and we prefer the Super Chunk Peanut Butter to spread on the candy before rolling up. (12/19/2006)

By Cher - California

Potato Candy

I'm so glad to see so many people still hold to family traditions as does my family. I remember this candy when I was a little kid, and I looked forward to Easter because I knew my grandmother would be making potato candy!

From what I remember, after she formed them into egg shapes, she put them on a waxed papered cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for a bit to let them set up better. Then she would dip them in melted chocolate she had melted in a double boiler.

I also remember she used to make many flavors of this candy. She used extracts like MAPLE, Peppermint, Strawberry, peanut butter, etc. They are all really good, but MAPLE is my favorite! (03/21/2007)

By LoneWolf1038

Potato Candy

Here is another potato candy recipe by one of our church ladies .

Potato Candy

1 lb powdered sugar
1/2 lb. coconut
2 1/2 T. oleo
1 t. vanilla
1 t. almond extract
1/2 c. + 2 T. instant potatoes
1/2 c. + 2 T. warm water

Beat potatoes, water and oleo. Add powdered sugar, extract flavoring, and coconut gradually. Spoon on waxed paper.

If dipped in chocolate, let candy cool. Dip in melted chocolate chips and cool again.

Note: I would think any flavoring could be substituted.

(12/07/2007)

By Dianne from IL

Potato Candy

I tried this candy in Philly. They made it the same way, but rolled it in a ball and tossed in a bag with cinnamon. Then removed from bag and served. They called it Irish Potatoes and had it for St. Patrick's Day (12/07/2007)

By Debbie

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.