Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

If boric acid is safe for pets (as recently posted), why do sites say to keep it away from pets when using as a pest deterrent? I'm really interested, since I've been using it for ants, and I have 2 cats and a dog that I want to keep safe.

Susanmajp from Arkansas/Oklahoma

Answers:

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

I have cats and kids and I use Boric Acid. BUT I use it as a "paste" from a recipe I looked up here on the Thrifty site. I keep it in a clear bowl with the cotton balls and a tiny hole poked in the side. The recipe calls for wholes in the top of a butter bowl, I used what I had and they wouldn't crawl to the top. So hubby poked a tiny hole in the side and the ants flocked to it. I do put this in behind things sitting on the counters and on a trash bin that has a cabinet attached...that way the cats don't see it to get into it. Good luck (06/05/2006)

By Michele

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/pesticides/factsheets/Boric%20Acid.pdf

There's a link that will tell you a lot of information about boric acid. It's a PDF file. Basically it says its safe to use in your home and only very large ingested quantities will harm your pet.

I know a lot of people mention reading the warnings on the bottle. That's fine, but you need to remember companies put those warnings on there for themselves, not for you. They don't want to get sued if something goes terribly wrong with your use of the product. They can just say, "well, we warned you". So the warnings probably make things sound worse than they really are. (06/06/2006)

By Allison

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

i don't see why you would have to keep the animals away from it. they won't eat it unless it has been mixed with some food product to bait bugs (like sugar) MOST of the warnings on natural substances are to cover their legal matters. you've heard the saying "here's your sign"? Those warnings are for the people that eat toothpaste and then sue the company for not telling them not to eat toothpaste! (06/06/2006)

By Carla B.

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

I find it at the grocery store in the same area you will find band aids, aspirin, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol and things of that type. It's called boric acid powder and a small 4 oz jar will cost around $4.00 in this area. I use it in small quantities and it lasts a long time. The boric acid powder/sugar/water mixture is the only thing in 30 years that has stopped my ant problem by about 95%! Occasionally a few will wander in. I mix up their little treat and in a few days they are gone! (06/06/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

Thanks everyone for the posts, especially Allison for the site of the fact sheet. This mixture has been a God-send for these tiny ants that come into my house every spring. I'm now using it outside to help clear some other ant hills out.

I absolutely love this site--everyone is so knowledgeable and helpful. Thanks again. (06/08/2006)

By susanmajp

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

I just wanted to add that I found a recipe for roach and silverfish bait from Boric Acid:

Roach Bait:

• 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 8 oz powdered Boric Acid
  • 1/2 cup flour, water

Mix shortening and sugar until creamy. Mix boric acid and flour together. Combine the two mixtures and pour enough water to make a dough. Place balls around the house where roaches are and they will eat it and die. I also found out that it still works after it dries up into a hard ball!

Silverfish Bail:

• 1 cup oatmeal, ground to flour in blender
  • 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. Boric Acid

Mix well and place in shallow containers near hiding spots. (06/08/2006)

By scruggle

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

Take a look at this link and determine for yourself.

http://devinefarm.net/rp/rpboric.htm (05/30/2008)

By Dot

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?

Boric Acid is safe for pets in low amounts. There are even some "pet wipes" for cleaning animals that contain low amounts (2%) of boric acid. (10/25/2008)

By Selena

Is Boric Acid Safe for Pets?
Acid Reflux
Remedies for Acid Reflux
A car battery.
Cleaning Up Battery Acid
Dog in Grass
Insect Repellents Safe for Use Around Pets
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎄