Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

I have a favorite pair of jeans but the zipper will not stay up. It goes up but when I move or bend down it goes down. I did see a post here that suggested to paint the zipper with clear nail polish. If I do not get any other solutions I may try that. Thank in advance.

Sandi from IL

Answers:

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

This has happened to me. Here's a simple and cheap idea.

I've used a medium sized safety pin to close my jeans. Put the open side of the pin through the hole in the zipper pull, then through the buttonhole and shut the pin. Button your pants normally.

Practice a few times, to make sure the pin is hidden as much as possible.

Much - much cheaper than having a seamstress replace the zipper, or just tossing the pair away.

Give it a try. (02/17/2009)

By KJ

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

Take them to a tailor or a cleaners that has a seamstress and have a new zipper put in them. It's not that expensive and being that they are your favorite jeans it's money well spent :-) (02/17/2009)

By Deeli

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

Sounds like your zipper doesn't have a "lock". If you don't want to get the new zipper, what I have done is to loop a rubber band in the zipper pull, then before I button or snap the jeans, put the rubber band around the button or snap, so that when closed, they hold the rubber band up, which in turn, holds the zipper up. You could use a hair rubber band that would match the jeans, but I have never had one that showed. (02/17/2009)

By Jilson

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

I agree about your zipper lacking a lock - or perhaps you haven't been locking it - the tab which you use to pull down the zipper also moves back to lock the zipper in place when fully zipped. Are there any teeth missing at the top of the zipper? if there is not a "stopper" then the zipper won't lock. I have sewn in a stopper with thread. Also check the teeth at the top of the zipper and see if they have to be re-aligned. (You can do that with a pair of pliers.) (02/17/2009)

By pamphyila

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

Try taking a pliers and squeezing the metal slide around the zipper to make it snug around the teeth. This should help. (02/17/2009)

By guest

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

I have one pair like this that I wear out to the clubs and this always happens, I simply spray the zipper with hairspray and that seems to help. (02/17/2009)

By KATHY

Jeans Zipper Won't Stay Up

Thanks to everyone for all the super ideas here. I will try them all and see which one works the best for me. If none do, I will have the zipper replaced. (02/17/2009)

By Sandi

A zipper on a pair of jeans.
Fixing a Zipper on Jeans
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Making a Jeans Apron
Stack of Jeans
Saving Money on Jeans
Recycled Jeans Flower Pot
Recycled Jeans Planters
🎄