John Deere Riding Mower Won't Start

Category Lawn Mowers
You can almost hear the grass growing as you sit there trying to start up your uncooperative riding mower. This is a guide about John Deere riding mower won't start.

My John Deere 17.5 riding mower does not turn starter when under compression. It turns over fast when spark plug is out. Could this be faulty starter?

How about the fuse under the dash?

Reference: https://www.sho  uestions/1131263

When cranking my John Deere 445, it will click maybe 3 or sometimes 12 times before it will crank. Any idea what it may be? I replaced the solenoid and cleaned the battery cables and still clicks.

The switch is located under the seat. Maybe you need to replace it.

My D130 has a new battery and it will crank, but won't start. I checked the air filter and it isn't bad. When I pulled the spark plugs they were clean and wet with gas. I don't know what else to check.

Best Answer

Plugs are not supposed to be wet with gas...Either too much fuel is coming out, or no spark. Check your fuel filter and the gaps on your plugs.

I was mowing on my JD 445 when I hit a stump with the front of the mower deck. The tractor immediately cut off! I disengaged the blades and then tried to start it. It is dead as a door nail. My husband checked the battery cables/fuse. All OK. What could have happened?
Thank you!

Best Answer

You sheared the keyway and flyrod.

I have a John Deere L110 lawn mower that will not start or even turn over. I replaced the spark plug and charged the battery, but still it would not make a sound. What do I do?

Best Answer

1- battery, jump it with your car

2) selinoid is shot, use screw driver to connect the 2 post to see if your getting power

I have a John Deere LA125. I bought it new in 2009. After sitting unused in the garage for the winter (5 months) I couldn't get get it to run. The engine wouldn't turn. There was either a clicking sound when turning the key or no sound at all. I changed the spark plug - nothing. I boosted the battery and it ran. I was able to cut the lawn then turned it off. A few minutes later, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start again. I have to boost the battery each time. Any ideas?

By Mike L.

Best Answer

I bought a brand new John Deere LA120. After a few uses it would not start or I would get a click sound or it would just turn over once or twice then nothing. I thought it was the battery or an open ground causing the problem.

A newer high amp battery may not change anything. I carefully checked out all the wiring. Nothing. I asked a dealer. He said it was the valves out of alignment. I thought he was crazy. I checked with a second dealer and he said the same thing. He said they could adjust the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem.

His suggestion was to rotate the air intake counter clockwise that sat on top of the engine until I felt resistance then it should start. I rotated the air intake as he suggested and could feel the resistance and hear the cylinders and valves moving. Then it started right up. So that is how I have to start the thing every time.

Sometimes I have to turn the air intake clockwise for it to start. The air cleaner is the screen disc that sits on top of the engine and rotates when the engine is running

I have a John Deere 135 automatic. The solenoid clicks, but it won't start. The battery is good.

By Brent

Best Answer

It sounds like you need to replace the solenoid. Jump the terminals, I'd it starts the starter solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced.

I can't get my 125 John Deere riding lawn mower to fire up. It has plenty of gas and the battery is fully charged.

By MMP

Anonymous
Best Answer

Take a look at the ground wire - the same thing happened to my Sears Craftsman mower - somehow, the ground wire broke and the mower wouldn't start or even turn over. My son reconnected the ground wire and it's been running OK since then.

My L110 John Deere mower has no spark at the plug wire. What could be the problem?

By Tom from Marblefalls, TX

Best Answer

Ive been a small engine tech for about 20 years.

It sounds like you have a bad coil.

I have a John Deere riding mower lt133 that just doesn't seem to want to start. I replaced the battery and solenoid and I still don't get a sound when I turn the key. I have checked every connection twice. I have checked all the fuses I could find. I am out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas about what I should try next? Thanks for the time and help.

I have a John Deere 100 series rider mower that won't start. It only clicks. The battery has been fully charged, there is no spark.

I have a John Deere 100 series lawn tractor. I started it up after a long period of inactivity. It only ran for a while, backfired loudly, shut off, and won't start again. What could be wrong?

I have a 1979 John Deere 112 riding mower. It is not getting a spark. I tried changing the plug, but it still won't fire.

My John Deere 400 won't start and doesn't make any noise or anything.

By Kristina

Test your solenoid

And check all safety switches

Take a look at this video for how to test the solenoid

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsvJMnpQBas

I have a John Deere mower with a 19.5 Briggs that won't start. It is model 31P677. It is not getting any gas from carb. I replaced the carb gasket and needle valve, pulled apart and cleaned all ports, adjusted valves in 4 ex 6, and it still won't start. Any ideas?

I have a John Deere 212 Kohler 12hp mower. I put a new switch, coil, points, and plugs and it still won't start. What can be the problem?

By Gerald

I have a L118 John Deere/22hp twin V OHV riding mower that just gives me grief every time I sit on the danged thing. When I first turn the key the fly wheel takes off as normal, but before the engine actual starts in dies down to nothing. I replaced the battery, terminals are clean, new fuel, and fuel filter. Any suggestions on what is going on?

By Robin V.

I have a John Deere La105 lawn tractor. When I turn the key it makes clicking sound, but will not turn over. I charged the battery, replaced the solenoid, and replaced the safety switch on brake/clutch rod. Last season you had to push the clutch/brake in to just the right spot in order to get it to crank. That is why I replaced the switch on clutch/brake thinking that would solve problem. It still clicks when I turn the key, but nothing happens. I unplugged the switch under seat, but still to no avail. Any other switches that need to be replaced?

By Jae W.

I am using a snow blade on the front of my riding lawn mower. It will not start. I checked the battery with a multimeter. It's fine and registers 12 volts. I have 2 new spark plugs which I rechecked the gap and it looks good. There is plenty of gas. I apply the choke and immediately smell gas so I assume that gas is getting in OK.

By Marc

Our John Deere 160 riding lawn mower won't turn over. We have a new battery, and my husband put in a new starter solenoid. When he turns on the key, it just clicks. He and his friend jumped it last week so we could mow, but that didn't even work this time. Any suggestions?

By Cindy R

I have a JD 120 with the same problem. This how the JD told me to start the machine. The valves are out of alignment so on top of the engine is a round screen that spins and cools the engine when it is running. Turn the screen counterclockwise until you feel resistance then start it. When I do this most of the time the machine will start.

Other times I have to turn the screen several times until resistance and other time I turn it clockwise. Either way it is a pain.Dealer told me the JD people use a cheap Briggs and Stratton engine and sell these units to the big box stores to be competitive with the other brands. Dealer told me I should have bought the 3000 series JD mowers. He also said he could fix the valves but I would be back next year with the same problem. Hope this helps.

Why won't my tractor start? What is the spark plug gap for a John Deere L130?

By KCR from Pineville, KY

I have a John Deere LA120 with the same issues. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton with 43 hours of use. I use a Champion RC12YC gapped at .030 inches. The first year the machine started great but not so now. My machine also will not start by cranking.

So, I bought a battery booster at my local auto store to add cranking power. I also bought a new battery with more cranking power but neither helped very much. I called John Deere but they don't have a tech service. They just refer you to your local dealer for service.

I visited one dealer who told me the valves are out of alignment. I thought that was a lot of BS. I visited another dealer who told me the same story. He said valves need to be aligned but within a year you will have the same problem. He also said the engine for the LA series is a piece of junk. Briggs and Stratton hasn't made a good engine in 10 years. The LA series is a cheap machine that John Deere sells to the big box stores.

He would not take my machine in on a trade for the John Deere X series which he said was a much better machine. He did give me this advise to start the machine. Lift the hood and turn the intake screen counter clockwise until you feel resistance. It should start. I tried it and I was able to start the machine.

The last time I used the mower it would not start turning the screen counter-clock wise, so I turn it clock wise and it started. The screen is the big circular screen with all the slots in it that sits on top of the engine. When the engine is running the screen is also turning at engine speed. Hope this helps.

I took my mower out of the garage yesterday, it wouldn't start because the battery was down so I had to boost it. I started the mower and put it on slow idle to let the battery charge. I went about my business while the battery was charging and all of a sudden I heard this loud exhaust noise like the muffler had fallen off the mower. I rushed to the mower and shut it off. I checked the exhaust and everything was fine. The problem is now it won't start and when I am trying to start it there sounds like there is an exhaust problem. This is a new mower I bought three years ago, 30 hrs on it.

By Terry C

My John Deere 425 tractor has no power. The lights on the dash do not light and no power is present. I replaced the battery and terminals but still no power. What could the problem be?

By Jim from Allentown, PA

My John Deere Sabre 14.5 Briggs and Stratton won't start. I have put in a new starter and battery and now it just makes a buzzing noise. What do I replace now?

By Jarod

I have a John Deere 185 it cranks from the key. I have replaced the starter, the starter solenoid, the key switch, and sometimes it starts and sometimes it acts as if the battery is dead and then I reconnect and start.

By Frankie

My John Deere 300A won't start. I just put a new battery in it. It won't even turn over. There are no lights and no starting sound.

By JJ

My mower has no spark at the plug. I have replaced the coil and the plug.

By Ken

I have a 1975 John Deere riding mower, 200 series, it is getting gas on the muffler and won't start. It has spark.

By Shane

Load More