Keep Bread Mold from Developing

After buying bread, poke a small hole in the opposite end from the main opening and put it in the refrigerator. The bread lasts longer and with the little bit of air seeping in, it keeps the bread at the deep end from developing mold.

By Patricia from Newark, Delaware

Keep Bread Mold From Developing

I keep bread in the freezer. Two slices thaw out very quickly, or just put them directly in the toaster. (02/27/2009)

By OliveOyl

Keep Bread Mold from Developing

Interesting, thanks! (03/01/2009)

By Cathy S.

Keep Bread Mold from Developing

Just a quick note: The holes prevent molding because it lets moisture out, not because it lets air in. Letting air in is actually a bad idea because it encourages spoilage. That's one reason we vacuum pack things. It's also a good idea to squeeze the air out before closing bags, even if the contents doesn't require refrigeration. Mold and bacteria need air to thrive.

oisture also encourages spoilage so letting it out is helpful. It's the same reason vegetable bags have holes in them. And if you bags don't have holes, poke holes in them before putting them in the fridge. Veggies will last much longer.

I generally just refrigerate the bread and without poking holes. Having holes will allow the bread to absorb odors, which I don't want. (03/02/2009)

By bryguyf69

I wouldn't vacume pack beautifully soft squishy bread. It would look like a tortilla. Lol

I notice that when we bring the freshest most coveted softess bread home, that there sometimes is condensation on the inside of the bag.So, when I see that I open the end of the bag til it dissipates and then close the bag. Being that it is a full loaf of bread the end piece kind of prevents the rest of the slices from drying out. And my mom likes the ends and dryer harder bread than the rest of our four generation household.I am also going to try the paper towel in the bottom of the breadbox tip too.

Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch