VegetablesFood Tips

Keep Celery and Carrots Fresh for Weeks

Carrots and celery wilt away in the veggie drawer if not eaten in a few days, how sad! I tend to go through 'phases' where I want veggies for awhile, and then they get shoved behind a delicious PIE, where they die a quiet death. With this tip they get a second chance, and so do I!

You'll need a canning jar with a lid. Wash and scrub your vegetables. Cut them into strips just a bit shorter than the jar. Place your cut veggies into your jar, then run water over them a few times to rinse well. Fill jar to the top with water, screw on the lid, and place in your refrigerator. Since the water covers the tops of the vegetables, air is sealed out and your veggies stay fresh and crisp for a surprisingly long time. Change the water once or twice a week for the freshest vegetables possible. Enjoy!

Top Comment

Add a pinch of ascorbic acid (powdered Vitamin C) to help keep the veg crisp.

I rinse all.my fruits and vegetables in water with white vinegar added. put in old cereal bags or plastic containers, they stay fresh and crisp for a long time.

Keeping them in cold water in your fridge makes sense. Working at restaurants in my earliest years, taught me to soak salad stuff in ice water for at least 20 min. Before serving. CRISPY SALADS every time.