Keep Cool Washcloth By Bed for Hot Nights

When my kids were little and we didn't have air conditioning, I would give them a cold, wet washcloth at night when they went to bed. They would put it on their foreheads. I don't know if it really cooled them down, or just distracted them, but they it did help them get to sleep on hot summer nights.

By timmel from Colorado Springs, CO

Answers:

Give Kids A Wet Washcloth At Bedtime

That's why mom was usually so "tightfisted" when we asked for something when the ice cream man came down the street! At night about 20 minutes before bedtime, she dipped us a nice dish of ice cream she had in the freezer and sometimes fresh sugared strawberries she'd mashed !

Mom was "one smart cookie! ;) and to think that all those years she had us fooled thinking the ice cream was just to shut us up! HA!

(07/23/2007)

By melody_yesterday

Give Kids A Wet Washcloth At Bedtime

Our home was only A/C recently. When the kids were young, we sent them for a swim in the pool at bedtime. It cooled them off and wore them out.

I wonder if a cold shower or cold tub would have the same effect. (07/24/2007)

By the Oracle

Give Kids A Wet Washcloth At Bedtime

That reminds me of when my kids were small, you know how sometimes "they really do like " the taste of some medications.Well to discourage always wanting to take it for every little thing, I would an aspirin in their bath water and it would take care of every little "owie" they had. Now that they are grown and tell me of an ache or pain or that they have a headache, I tell them to take a bath and put an aspirin in it. Their response "Mom that don't work" with a look on their face like they can't believe they fell for that! (07/24/2007)

By teacup464

Give Kids A Wet Washcloth At Bedtime

I find that if I at least wash my feet/ankles and hands/wrists with cold water before bedtime, it helps me to fall asleep better on those muggy nights.

Another trick is to wrap an ice pack in a washcloth and put it on the back of your neck. (07/24/2007)

By QueenBeeCrafts

Give Kids A Wet Washcloth At Bedtime

I do this all the time. It does work wonderfully. (07/25/2009)

By Craftslady2008

Give Kids A Wet Washcloth At Bedtime

Wet their heads. Most of your body heat is stored in your head. Works like a charm. (08/03/2009)

By dollyslaffn