Keep Your Freezer Full To Save On Electricity

Don't let your freezer get partially empty, that costs you money. If the empty spaces are large enough to accommodate large plastic bottles (2-liter or milk), fill the bottles 3/4 with water and place in the freezer. This will provide additional cold and prevent frequent cycling of the compressor.

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

Answers:

It is so true that keeping your freezer full saves you $$ in power. I found to make an even layer across the bottom for the food to stay more stable and flat, I fill plastic square totes. I measured the size I would need. For me two works great. Filled with water 3/4 full, not to heavy to get out if you want water. However, the better reason to have that ice in there is if you ever have a power failure. The freezer still has a large area that will thaw very slow. Most power companies suggest you place a heavy blanket or comforter on the top of the food keeping the cold contained. This can keep a freezer from thawing for up to 72 hours! (11/30/2009)

By EM10

I like to have ziplock bags full of ice from my ice maker and put several bags in my bigger freezer. It helps take up space and if needed it is handy for a picnic cooler in the summer instead of buying ice. Also comes in handy to use as a ice pack for injuries and such. (11/30/2009)

By dwutz