Keep an Up-to-Date Medication List With You

Medical supplies surrounding a clipboard with blank page
Having a list of your current medications with you in case of an emergency is a good idea. This is a guide about keep an up-to-date medication list with you.

At the suggestion of my allergist, I keep an updated list of my medications in my handbag. She tells me that if you are taken to the hospital, it is very difficult to reconstruct a list of medicines for the patient. One never knows if they will be in an auto accident or suffer a stroke or other episode and not be able to speak for themselves.

I keep my list on my computer so it is easy to update and to print out, but handwritten is good too. I also list non prescription items my doctors want me to have.

Men can make a list to keep in their wallet. That way every time you leave your house you will have it with you.

Source: My physician

That's good information. I have my doctor's names and phone numbers listed on the same paper as well and also anything that I'm allergic to. You never know when you will need it. When I go to the doctor, I check my list on the computer to make sure it is accurate, change the date and print out a copy to take with me. They always ask what medications I'm taking. I just hand them a copy.

I have been doing this for years and for my friends as well. One of them had to have an EMT for an accident (she wasn't hurt thankfully) and she gave him the laminated med list I had made for her and he commented that they wished everyone would do this. It would make their job a lot easier when emergencys happen.

My list isn't laminated. I just type it out on the computer. Mine is a full page in length, double spaced. The top half is prescription medications, and the bottom half is doctor recommendations like metamucil and artificial tears.

Anonymous

All my medical history is listed as well my diseases, allergies, surgeries, medications and herbs and vitamins I take. All on one sheet and on Excel. No need to fill out forms at the drs. office. I keep it in my purse with my medical card.