Keeping Animals from Eating Pumpkin Decorations

I have this problem every year and wondered if anyone else did too. I love to put 1 or 2 pumpkins on my front step for decorating at Fall season, but within days, the squirrels have chewed large holes in them and seeds are everywhere.

Is there a way to keep animals from eating them? I would love to be able to keep them on the step longer than 2 days. I don't know what to do to keep the squirrels out of them. It happens every year and no matter where I've lived, it happens. Thanks very much!

Mia from Philadelphia

Answers:

The only thing I can think of that is equitable to you and to the squirrels is to simply cut the top off the pumpkin, scoop out the inside, spray the inside with a tiny bit of disinfectant to repel the squirrels, put the top back on and place it outside on your stairs. Then put the yummy pumpkin insides in a small bucket turned on it's side in a different location so the squirrels can still have a Fall Feast without such a mess for you and more enjoyment for you both :-) (10/30/2008)

By Deeli

My husband and I have a really nice Halloween scene; we spray paint our pumpkins with gold and red and we make a turkey with one and a black cat with one and we have never had problems with squirrels. Our scene is on our front porch. (10/30/2008)

By Anita S. from Olean, NY

That is a great idea. Here's another.

Make your festive faces in felt marker, let dry, spray with shellac and that should deter them. Your pumpkin will last longer and look more interesting.

If nothing works, then find some at the Dollar Tree and put them up hanging on your porch or on the steps and hot glue or E6000 to some cheap wooden bases that are heavy. You can then enjoy the caricature of your home and the squirrels can go somewhere else.

Good luck! (10/30/2008)

By Poor But Proud

Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals
🎄